Update form field from vbscript sub

Michael McGrew

I have a asp form that has a dynamic drop-down box that a user selects
a value from. Once the user makes a selection I use the onChange event
to capture the selection and pass this value to a vbscript sub. The sub
then makes a adsi query using this value to retrieve additional
information. This all works. I used a msgbox to display the retrieved
value and it is correct. My problem is how do I update a field on the
form with this retrieved value?

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Michael said:
I have a asp form that has a dynamic drop-down box that a user selects
a value from. Once the user makes a selection I use the onChange event
to capture the selection and pass this value to a vbscript sub. The
sub then makes a adsi query using this value to retrieve additional
information. This all works. I used a msgbox to display the retrieved
value and it is correct. My problem is how do I update a field on the
form with this retrieved value?

This isn't really an asp issue, is it. You would be asking the same
question if your page had a .htm extension. Client-side scripting
questions should be posted to one of the .scripting groups: in this case
microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript. Of course, you will have to deal
with the replies ridiculing your use of vbscript in client-side code
(because it restricts your users to IE), but once you get past that, you
should get some help.

Having said that, you need to use the document.GetElementById method
toget a reference to the "field" and then set its value property to the
data retrieved from adsi.

sub GetADSIValue()
dim valuefromadsi
'get the value from adsi and assign it to the variable; then:
dim obj
set obj=document.GetElementById("id_of_field")
obj.value= valuefromadsi
end sub