    (via the FSO lastmodifieddate) which files need to be updated
    (enhancements, etc.), then shoot the ASP pages that have changed down
    to the client?

    MW, Jan 14, 2004

  2. MW

    Ray at Guest

    In what way do you mean this? Are you talking about web developers who take
    projects with them on their laptops or users of your site with laptops? If
    the former, the offline files feature in W2K or XP can handle this.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Jan 14, 2004

  3. MW

    MW Guest

    More users of an "offline" version of the same web app.

    MW, Jan 14, 2004
  4. MW

    Ray at Guest

    These are the users of your web application, or developers edit the .asp
    files? Can you clarify what you're asking?

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Jan 14, 2004
  5. MW

    MW Guest

    Naaa - the "offline" app is really just a clone of the online app, but
    for guys in the field with no Internet connection, and with very
    little data.

    So when I make an enhancement to the online application (the one on
    our Intranet), I was wondering if the "offline" application could do a
    quick check (via the FSO and lastmodifieddate) to determine the
    changed ASP's and push them out to the "offline" app. Kinda like a
    "Windows Update", but without the ActiveX.

    MW, Jan 15, 2004
  6. MW

    Ray at Guest

    While doing something like this would be possible, it would be far from a
    simple task. You'd have to install IIS on those machines and setup
    duplicate intranets locally on their machines, and you'd have to have a way
    of distributing your updated files, a way a storing data locally on their
    machines and then merging later when they're online, as well as
    synchronizing all the data back out to their machines after that. This
    would be a management nightmare to do. If you think about how an intranet
    works, you should hopefully see why. Forget that it's your intranet for a
    moment and pretend someone asked you if he could somehow get Ebay on his
    computer to use when he's not connected to the Internet. Even if you were
    Ebay's webmaster, can you think of a way to do this, a good way? No.

    A client based application would be a much better solution, if it's
    important for your users to be able to easily track things when offline. It
    would be much simpler in the long end if you threw together even just a
    simple VB app that mimics your intranet application and make it so that it
    logs the user's data to a file that he can later upload to your intranet.
    And have your ASP code parse that info and stick it in your database on the
    server. Or something along these lines.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Jan 15, 2004