Update pytz timezone definitions

_robby

I am looking at using pytz in a scheduling application which will be
used internationally. I would like to be able to update the definition
files that pytz uses monthly or bi-monthly.

As far as I can tell, pytz seems to be updated (fairly) regularly to
the newest tzdata, but I don't want to have to update my pytz, just
it's definitions.

http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm says that pytz "compiles tz
source into Python." Does this mean that there is already a method for
updating the definitions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if it is to point out
something obvious which I over looked.

- Robby

Matt Nordhoff

_robby said:
I am looking at using pytz in a scheduling application which will be
used internationally. I would like to be able to update the definition
files that pytz uses monthly or bi-monthly.

As far as I can tell, pytz seems to be updated (fairly) regularly to
the newest tzdata, but I don't want to have to update my pytz, just
it's definitions.

http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm says that pytz "compiles tz
source into Python." Does this mean that there is already a method for
updating the definitions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if it is to point out
something obvious which I over looked.

- Robby

pytz's build process is rather complicated (e.g., a list of all time
zones is appended to pytz/__init__.py). I really don't think it would be
worth the effort.

python-dateutil [1] [2] provides time zone support similar to pytz's,
among other features. It keeps the time zone files in a tarball and I'm
pretty sure it would be easy to update.

I still don't get why you'd want to go to the effort though. Upgrading
the whole package is easy. It's not like pytz gets a new API every version.

[1] <http://labix.org/python-dateutil>
[2] <http://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-dateutil/>