Update SQL database from form - newbie and totally lost!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by guardsman85, Aug 27, 2006.

  1. guardsman85

    guardsman85 Guest

    I am writing my first web application using MS Visual Web Developer
    2005 Express. I am using VB.NET for my language.

    The application is meant to track participants in a traveling car show.
    What will happen is that when participants arrive at each checkpoint
    they will enter their ID into a textbox and hit enter (or click a
    Submit button). When this happens three columns in the Participants
    table need to be updated:

    CP1At
    This is a Boolean type column that needs to be updated from unchecked
    to checked to signify that the participant has been at Checkpoint 1

    CP1Time
    This is a SmallDateTime type column that needs to be updated with the
    current time.

    CPLast
    This is a VarChar(50) type column that needs to be updated with
    "Checkpoint 1" to signify that the last checkpoint the participant
    visited was Checkpoint 1.

    WHERE ParticipantID (Int type column and primary key for Participants
    table) = the ID the participant entered.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    guardsman85, Aug 27, 2006

  2. you need to take a read of the asp.net 2.0 quickstart. It tells you all
    about connecting, updating,deleting etc.

    http://www.asp.net/QuickStart/aspnet/doc/data/databases.aspx#updatedelete

    Regards

    John Timney (MVP)

    John Timney \(MVP\), Aug 27, 2006

  3. guardsman85

    guardsman85 Guest

    The guide helps. Still having a little trouble, but I'm starting to
    figure it out. Thanks!
    guardsman85, Aug 29, 2006