Update TextArea

bwilde

Hello,

I have a recursive function in which I would like to update the text
held in a JTextArea. The problem that I'm running into is that the
updates do not occur live, but rather only once the program is done
with execution.

I looked on the forum and saw it recommended to use the update() method
to handle this. I don't know if it's because I'm using Java 1.5, but
the options that I have are updateUI or update(Graphics g). The
updateUI does not work, and I'm not doing anything with graphics, so
neither of these seem to be valid options.

Does anybody have an idea of what else I can try?

Thanks,
Ben

Knute Johnson

Hello,

I have a recursive function in which I would like to update the text
held in a JTextArea. The problem that I'm running into is that the
updates do not occur live, but rather only once the program is done
with execution.

I looked on the forum and saw it recommended to use the update() method
to handle this. I don't know if it's because I'm using Java 1.5, but
the options that I have are updateUI or update(Graphics g). The
updateUI does not work, and I'm not doing anything with graphics, so
neither of these seem to be valid options.

Does anybody have an idea of what else I can try?

Thanks,
Ben

You could post a simple compilable example that demonstrates your
problem. In lieu of that you could post your actual code.