update textbox with js after onkeydown

royend

I have two textboxes - one editable and visible where the user inputs
data, and one hidden which will be used to warn the user when a
maximum of letters has been entered.

What I need is a js-function which will use two arguments (the name of
the input and output textboxes), and compare the length of the text
with the maxLength. If maxLength is reached it will set the text and/
or visibilty of the other textbox with an appropriate warning.

Is this solvable?
Looking forward to your response.
royend.