Update to itext 2.0.1 from 1.3 throws Error

Newie

Hi,

I have made a PDF with itext 1.3 and everythings works fine, now I
wanted to update itext to the newest release itext 2.0.1. After I had
done this, I received the following exception:

[11.04.07 08:22:19:404 CEST] 62893347 WebGroup E SRVE0026E:
[Servlet-Fehler]-[java.lang.StringBuffer: method append(Ljava/lang/
StringBuffer;)Ljava/lang/StringBuffer; not found]:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.StringBuffer: method
append(Ljava/lang/StringBuffer;)Ljava/lang/StringBuffer; not found
at com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfWriter$PdfBody
$PdfCrossReference.toPdf(PdfWriter.java:192)
at com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfWriter
$PdfBody.writeCrossReferenceTable(PdfWriter.java:505)
at com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfWriter.close(PdfWriter.java:1161)
at com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfDocument.close(PdfDocument.java:805)
at com.lowagie.text.Document.close(Document.java:491)
at servlet.HelloWorld.doPost(HelloWorld.java:50)
at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.StrictServletInstance.doService(StrictServletInstance.java:
110)
at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.StrictLifecycleServlet._service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:
174)
at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.IdleServletState.service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:
313)
at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.StrictLifecycleServlet.service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:
116)
at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletInstance.service(ServletInstance.java:
283)
at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ValidServletReferenceState.dispatch(ValidServletReferenceState.java:
42)
at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletInstanceReference.dispatch(ServletInstanceReference.java:
40)
at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.handleWebAppDispatch(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:
1030)
at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.dispatch(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:
566)
at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.forward(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:
198)
at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.InvokerServlet.service(InvokerServlet.java:
255)
[...]
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.WebAppInvoker.doForward(WebAppInvoker.java:
80)
at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.WebAppInvoker.handleInvocationHook(WebAppInvoker.java:
214)
at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.cache.invocation.CachedInvocation.handleInvocation(CachedInvocation.java:
71)
at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.cache.invocation.CacheableInvocationContext.invoke(CacheableInvocationContext.java:
116)
at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srp.ServletRequestProcessor.dispatchByURI(ServletRequestProcessor.java:
186)
at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.oselistener.OSEListenerDispatcher.service(OSEListener.java:
334)
at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.http.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:
56)
at
com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.readAndHandleRequest(HttpConnection.java:
615)
at com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.run(HttpConnection.java:449)
at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:672)

My classpath is ok and I have also compiled it on my own computer, but
ít is still the same error.
If I used instead of the itext 2.0.1 the 1.3 it works.

So can anybody help me????
I don't know what to do.......

Gordon Beaton

I have made a PDF with itext 1.3 and everythings works fine, now I
wanted to update itext to the newest release itext 2.0.1. After I
had done this, I received the following exception:

[11.04.07 08:22:19:404 CEST] 62893347 WebGroup E SRVE0026E:
[Servlet-Fehler]-[java.lang.StringBuffer: method append(Ljava/lang/
StringBuffer;)Ljava/lang/StringBuffer; not found]:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.StringBuffer: method
append(Ljava/lang/StringBuffer;)Ljava/lang/StringBuffer; not found
[...]

My classpath is ok and I have also compiled it on my own computer,
but ít is still the same error. If I used instead of the itext 2.0.1
the 1.3 it works.

Upgrade to a modern JDK. It appears you are using Java 1.3 (or earlier).

/gordon

Newie

--

Hi Gordon,

thank you for your answer.
We are using IBM WebSphere Portal 5, and we have Java 1.3
Now we have to look, if we could update to 1.4 or 1.5
So thank you....

Lew

Newie said:
thank you for your answer.
We are using IBM WebSphere Portal 5, and we have Java 1.3
Now we have to look, if we could update to 1.4 or 1.5
So thank you....

Well, if the developer knew that they shouldn't have used methods that didn't
exist in 1.3. However, in their defense, Java 1.3 has been obsolete for
months and obsolescent for years. Java 1.3 is an unsupported product. Why
would any business risk its health on an unsupported, obsolete product?

In the meantime, have a chat with your team about target platforms and not
exceeding them.