Update to itext 2.0.1 from 1.3 throws Error

Discussion in 'Java' started by Newie, Apr 11, 2007.

  1. Newie

    Newie Guest

    Hi,

    I have made a PDF with itext 1.3 and everythings works fine, now I
    wanted to update itext to the newest release itext 2.0.1. After I had
    done this, I received the following exception:

    [11.04.07 08:22:19:404 CEST] 62893347 WebGroup E SRVE0026E:
    [Servlet-Fehler]-[java.lang.StringBuffer: method append(Ljava/lang/
    StringBuffer;)Ljava/lang/StringBuffer; not found]:
    java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.StringBuffer: method
    append(Ljava/lang/StringBuffer;)Ljava/lang/StringBuffer; not found
    at com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfWriter$PdfBody
    $PdfCrossReference.toPdf(PdfWriter.java:192)
    at com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfWriter
    $PdfBody.writeCrossReferenceTable(PdfWriter.java:505)
    at com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfWriter.close(PdfWriter.java:1161)
    at com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfDocument.close(PdfDocument.java:805)
    at com.lowagie.text.Document.close(Document.java:491)
    at servlet.HelloWorld.doPost(HelloWorld.java:50)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.StrictServletInstance.doService(StrictServletInstance.java:
    110)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.StrictLifecycleServlet._service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:
    174)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.IdleServletState.service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:
    313)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.StrictLifecycleServlet.service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:
    116)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletInstance.service(ServletInstance.java:
    283)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ValidServletReferenceState.dispatch(ValidServletReferenceState.java:
    42)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletInstanceReference.dispatch(ServletInstanceReference.java:
    40)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.handleWebAppDispatch(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:
    1030)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.dispatch(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:
    566)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.forward(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:
    198)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.InvokerServlet.service(InvokerServlet.java:
    255)
[...]
    com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.WebAppInvoker.doForward(WebAppInvoker.java:
    80)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.WebAppInvoker.handleInvocationHook(WebAppInvoker.java:
    214)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.cache.invocation.CachedInvocation.handleInvocation(CachedInvocation.java:
    71)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.cache.invocation.CacheableInvocationContext.invoke(CacheableInvocationContext.java:
    116)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srp.ServletRequestProcessor.dispatchByURI(ServletRequestProcessor.java:
    186)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.oselistener.OSEListenerDispatcher.service(OSEListener.java:
    334)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.http.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:
    56)
    at
    com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.readAndHandleRequest(HttpConnection.java:
    615)
    at com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.run(HttpConnection.java:449)
    at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:672)

    My classpath is ok and I have also compiled it on my own computer, but
    ít is still the same error.
    If I used instead of the itext 2.0.1 the 1.3 it works.

    So can anybody help me????
    I don't know what to do.......

    Newie, Apr 11, 2007

  2. On 10 Apr 2007 23:26:29 -0700, Newie wrote:
    > I have made a PDF with itext 1.3 and everythings works fine, now I
    > wanted to update itext to the newest release itext 2.0.1. After I
    > had done this, I received the following exception:
    >
    > [11.04.07 08:22:19:404 CEST] 62893347 WebGroup E SRVE0026E:
    > [Servlet-Fehler]-[java.lang.StringBuffer: method append(Ljava/lang/
    > StringBuffer;)Ljava/lang/StringBuffer; not found]:
    > java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.StringBuffer: method
    > append(Ljava/lang/StringBuffer;)Ljava/lang/StringBuffer; not found

    [...]

    > My classpath is ok and I have also compiled it on my own computer,
    > but ít is still the same error. If I used instead of the itext 2.0.1
    > the 1.3 it works.

    Upgrade to a modern JDK. It appears you are using Java 1.3 (or earlier).

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Apr 11, 2007

  3. Newie

    Newie Guest

    On 11 Apr., 08:46, Gordon Beaton <> wrote:
    > On 10 Apr 2007 23:26:29 -0700, Newie wrote:
    >
    > > I have made a PDF with itext 1.3 and everythings works fine, now I
    > > wanted to update itext to the newest release itext 2.0.1. After I
    > > had done this, I received the following exception:

    > > [11.04.07 08:22:19:404 CEST] 62893347 WebGroup E SRVE0026E:
    > > [Servlet-Fehler]-[java.lang.StringBuffer: method append(Ljava/lang/
    > > StringBuffer;)Ljava/lang/StringBuffer; not found]:
    > > java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.StringBuffer: method
    > > append(Ljava/lang/StringBuffer;)Ljava/lang/StringBuffer; not found

    > [...]
    >
    > > My classpath is ok and I have also compiled it on my own computer,
    > > but ít is still the same error. If I used instead of the itext 2.0.1
    > > the 1.3 it works.

    > Upgrade to a modern JDK. It appears you are using Java 1.3 (or earlier).
    >
    > /gordon
    >
    > --

    Hi Gordon,

    thank you for your answer.
    We are using IBM WebSphere Portal 5, and we have Java 1.3
    Now we have to look, if we could update to 1.4 or 1.5
    So thank you....

    Newie, Apr 11, 2007
  4. Newie

    Lew Guest

    Newie wrote:
    > thank you for your answer.
    > We are using IBM WebSphere Portal 5, and we have Java 1.3
    > Now we have to look, if we could update to 1.4 or 1.5
    > So thank you....

    Well, if the developer knew that they shouldn't have used methods that didn't
    exist in 1.3. However, in their defense, Java 1.3 has been obsolete for
    months and obsolescent for years. Java 1.3 is an unsupported product. Why
    would any business risk its health on an unsupported, obsolete product?

    In the meantime, have a chat with your team about target platforms and not
    exceeding them.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Apr 11, 2007