Update to redirect search engine highly ranked page

c676228

Hi all,

I posted the thread in Jan. and got many responses and I am very appreciated
to those contributors.

Here is my update. After read all suggestions, comments and instructions.
I think use 404 page redirect the users to the new page is doable. But I
believe that I need to brand that redirect with 301 response:
so I replaced the original
Response.Redirect x 'x is new web page addrress
with the following code

Response.Status="301 Moved Permanently"
Response.AddHeader "Location", x

After that I used http://www.seoconsultants.com/tools/headers.asp
to check header information by entering an old page and it did redirect me
to a new page, but I expected that the header informaiton should look like
this: HTTP Status Code - 301 Moved Permanently
But acutally I got the result like this:
HTTP Status Code: HTTP/1.0 200 OK

Did I do anything wrong? What's the best place to put custom 404 page?
My testing server is on the intranet, does that matter?

Thank you.

Steven Cheng

Hi Betty,

From your description, you use the following page to track the httpheader
of the response of your 404 redirect page but found that no 301 status(you
set) returned, correct?

http://www.seoconsultants.com/tools/headers.asp

I've searched for some other articles on 404 page redirection(SEO approach)
and the code you used below should be correct:
Response.Status="301 Moved Permanently"
Response.AddHeader "Location", x

I've also performed test on my local side. I used the "Trace Utility" in
SoapToolkit 3(a tool that can capture http messages) and found that the 301
status does return at first(when the redirect.asp send the redirect header
back), then, the send request(to the new location) will bring back the 200
status. I think this is the behavior you expect, correct? I'm wondering
whether it is the above "headers.asp" page that may not return the correct
headers(or it only return the last page's headers and omit any intermediate
redirection ones).

Please feel free to let me know if there is anything I omited.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------

c676228

Thanks, Steven, for being so thorough.
It's nice you have a trace tool for getting intermediate response status.
I just wish I could download somewhere if there is any free version
--
Betty

"Steven Cheng" said:
Hi Betty,

From your description, you use the following page to track the httpheader
[...]

Yes, the SoapToolkit is a free package suite, however, since it is mainly
used for legacy VB based webservice dev(which is not recommended and
supported now), I don't quite recommend you install it(I just installed it
previously and be used to using the Trace utility in it:) ).

For http trace, you can consider the following web browser add-on
components:

#fiddler for IE
http://www.fiddlertool.com/Fiddler/help/hookup.asp

#Web Development Helper
http://www.nikhilk.net/Project.WebDevHelper.aspx

Both of them are very good for capture and analyize http commucations in
webbrowser.

From: =?Utf-8?B?YzY3NjIyOA==?= <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Update to redirect search engine highly ranked page
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:46:02 -0800