Update to redirect search engine highly ranked page

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by c676228, Feb 25, 2008.

  1. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Hi all,

    I posted the thread in Jan. and got many responses and I am very appreciated
    to those contributors.

    Here is my update. After read all suggestions, comments and instructions.
    I think use 404 page redirect the users to the new page is doable. But I
    believe that I need to brand that redirect with 301 response:
    so I replaced the original
    Response.Redirect x 'x is new web page addrress
    with the following code

    Response.Status="301 Moved Permanently"
    Response.AddHeader "Location", x

    After that I used http://www.seoconsultants.com/tools/headers.asp
    to check header information by entering an old page and it did redirect me
    to a new page, but I expected that the header informaiton should look like
    this: HTTP Status Code - 301 Moved Permanently
    But acutally I got the result like this:
    HTTP Status Code: HTTP/1.0 200 OK

    Did I do anything wrong? What's the best place to put custom 404 page?
    My testing server is on the intranet, does that matter?

    Thank you.

    --
    Betty
    c676228, Feb 25, 2008

  2. c676228

    Steven Cheng Guest

    Hi Betty,

    From your description, you use the following page to track the httpheader
    of the response of your 404 redirect page but found that no 301 status(you
    set) returned, correct?

    http://www.seoconsultants.com/tools/headers.asp

    I've searched for some other articles on 404 page redirection(SEO approach)
    and the code you used below should be correct:

    >Response.Status="301 Moved Permanently"
    >Response.AddHeader "Location", x

    I've also performed test on my local side. I used the "Trace Utility" in
    SoapToolkit 3(a tool that can capture http messages) and found that the 301
    status does return at first(when the redirect.asp send the redirect header
    back), then, the send request(to the new location) will bring back the 200
    status. I think this is the behavior you expect, correct? I'm wondering
    whether it is the above "headers.asp" page that may not return the correct
    headers(or it only return the last page's headers and omit any intermediate
    redirection ones).

    Please feel free to let me know if there is anything I omited.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng, Feb 26, 2008

  3. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Thanks, Steven, for being so thorough.
    It's nice you have a trace tool for getting intermediate response status.
    I just wish I could download somewhere if there is any free version
    --
    Betty

    c676228, Feb 27, 2008
  4. c676228

    Steven Cheng Guest

    Hi Betty,

    Yes, the SoapToolkit is a free package suite, however, since it is mainly
    used for legacy VB based webservice dev(which is not recommended and
    supported now), I don't quite recommend you install it(I just installed it
    previously and be used to using the Trace utility in it:) ).

    For http trace, you can consider the following web browser add-on
    components:

    #fiddler for IE
    http://www.fiddlertool.com/Fiddler/help/hookup.asp

    #Web Development Helper
    http://www.nikhilk.net/Project.WebDevHelper.aspx

    Both of them are very good for capture and analyize http commucations in
    webbrowser.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    --------------------
    >From: =?Utf-8?B?YzY3NjIyOA==?= <>

    <>
    >Subject: RE: Update to redirect search engine highly ranked page
    >Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:46:02 -0800

    >Thanks, Steven, for being so thorough.
    >It's nice you have a trace tool for getting intermediate response status.
    >I just wish I could download somewhere if there is any free version
    >--
    >Betty
    >

    >""Steven Cheng"" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Betty,
    >>
    >> From your description, you use the following page to track the

    httpheader
    >> of the response of your 404 redirect page but found that no 301

    status(you
    >> set) returned, correct?
    >>
    >> http://www.seoconsultants.com/tools/headers.asp
    >>
    >> I've searched for some other articles on 404 page redirection(SEO

    approach)
    >> and the code you used below should be correct:
    >>
    >> >Response.Status="301 Moved Permanently"
    >> >Response.AddHeader "Location", x

    >> I've also performed test on my local side. I used the "Trace Utility" in
    >> SoapToolkit 3(a tool that can capture http messages) and found that the

    301
    >> status does return at first(when the redirect.asp send the redirect

    header
    >> back), then, the send request(to the new location) will bring back the

    200
    >> status. I think this is the behavior you expect, correct? I'm

    wondering
    >> whether it is the above "headers.asp" page that may not return the

    correct
    >> headers(or it only return the last page's headers and omit any

    intermediate
    >> redirection ones).
    >>
    >> Please feel free to let me know if there is anything I omited.
    >>
    >> Sincerely,
    >>
    >> Steven Cheng
    >>
    >> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    rights.

    Steven Cheng, Feb 28, 2008
  5. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Steven,

    Good stuff. I will defintely benefit from it.

    Thank you so much.
    --
    Betty

    c676228, Feb 29, 2008