Update website via website?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Adrian Wood, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Adrian Wood

    Adrian Wood Guest

    Hello all!

    I've set up a small personal website for mobile devices (PDAs/Smartphones
    etc) with links to mobile-friendly websites.

    I've realised it would be very useful if I could update the site through my
    PDA (A handspring Treo 600, Palm OS5.) The question is, how to do it?

    I was wondering if it's possible to build a web interface to do this;
    something which would list the HTML pages currently on the site, and open up
    the selected pages source in an editable format?

    I have plenty of webspace... about 55MB... but no server access on any other
    level, so JAVAscript and XHTML are in, but PHP etc are out.

    Failing that, I guess I just have to learn to code and write a combined HTML
    editor/FTP client for Palm. ;)

    Any ideas?

    --
    Adrian

    Adrian Wood, Feb 22, 2004

  2. Adrian Wood

    Paul Furman Guest

    Adrian Wood wrote:

    > I have plenty of webspace... about 55MB... but no server access on any other
    > level, so JAVAscript and XHTML are in, but PHP etc are out.

    If you have SSH (Secure Shell) access you can open the active pages in a
    command line editor like vi (unix text editor) and update them directly
    without having to download & upload. If you have SSI (Server Side
    Includes) you can set up the pages to include content from plain text
    files and not have to fiddle with the html tags. This would just fill in
    pre-formatted paragraphs and titles, etc or you could add a few tags
    like <br> if you want. SSI might be available at a minimal charge if not
    part of the standard package.

    Paul Furman, Feb 22, 2004

  3. Adrian Wood

    Adrian Wood Guest

    "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    > Adrian Wood wrote:
    > >
    > > I have plenty of webspace... about 55MB... but no server access on any

    other
    > > level, so JAVAscript and XHTML are in, but PHP etc are out.

    > If you have SSH (Secure Shell) access you can open the active pages in a
    > command line editor like vi (unix text editor) and update them directly
    > without having to download & upload. If you have SSI (Server Side
    > Includes) you can set up the pages to include content from plain text
    > files and not have to fiddle with the html tags. This would just fill in
    > pre-formatted paragraphs and titles, etc or you could add a few tags
    > like <br> if you want. SSI might be available at a minimal charge if not
    > part of the standard package.

    I'll e-mail them and ask, but I doubt I have either... Not to mention I'd
    still need a way to access these through the Treo.

    I have this feeling I'm going to have to find a Linux expert to help me set
    something up along the lines of...

    * I send an e-mail to my linux box at home
    * My Linux box e-mails me back the code
    * I edit it and e-mail it back again
    * My linux box takes this code and gives it to an FTP program which uploads
    it for me.

    Thanks for the line of inquiry though, at least it's a start!

    (PS, sorry for the e-mail, damn that 'reply' button being right next to
    'reply group'!)

    --
    Adrian

    Adrian Wood, Feb 22, 2004
  4. Adrian Wood

    Hywel Guest

    In article <3z5_b.2076$>,
    says...
    > "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    > > Adrian Wood wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I have plenty of webspace... about 55MB... but no server access on any

    > other
    > > > level, so JAVAscript and XHTML are in, but PHP etc are out.

    > > If you have SSH (Secure Shell) access you can open the active pages in a
    > > command line editor like vi (unix text editor) and update them directly
    > > without having to download & upload. If you have SSI (Server Side
    > > Includes) you can set up the pages to include content from plain text
    > > files and not have to fiddle with the html tags. This would just fill in
    > > pre-formatted paragraphs and titles, etc or you could add a few tags
    > > like <br> if you want. SSI might be available at a minimal charge if not
    > > part of the standard package.

    > I'll e-mail them and ask, but I doubt I have either... Not to mention I'd
    > still need a way to access these through the Treo.
    >
    > I have this feeling I'm going to have to find a Linux expert to help me set
    > something up along the lines of...
    >
    > * I send an e-mail to my linux box at home
    > * My Linux box e-mails me back the code
    > * I edit it and e-mail it back again
    > * My linux box takes this code and gives it to an FTP program which uploads
    > it for me.

    Why not write a process for your Linux box that catches the email and
    does the changes for you - you just email it with instructions.
    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel, Feb 22, 2004
  5. Adrian Wood

    Adrian Wood Guest

    "Hywel" <> wrote in message
    > In article <3z5_b.2076$>,
    > says...
    > > "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message

    any
    > > other
    > > >
    > > > If you have SSH (Secure Shell) access you can open the active pages in

    > > > command line editor like vi (unix text editor) and update them

    directly
    > > > without having to download & upload. If you have SSI (Server Side
    > > > Includes) you can set up the pages to include content from plain text
    > > > files and not have to fiddle with the html tags. This would just fill

    in
    > > > pre-formatted paragraphs and titles, etc or you could add a few tags
    > > > like <br> if you want. SSI might be available at a minimal charge if

    not
    > > > part of the standard package.

    > > I'll e-mail them and ask, but I doubt I have either... Not to mention

    I'd
    > > still need a way to access these through the Treo.
    > >
    > > I have this feeling I'm going to have to find a Linux expert to help me

    set
    > > something up along the lines of...
    > >
    > > * I send an e-mail to my linux box at home
    > > * My Linux box e-mails me back the code
    > > * I edit it and e-mail it back again
    > > * My linux box takes this code and gives it to an FTP program which

    uploads
    > > it for me.

    > Why not write a process for your Linux box that catches the email and
    > does the changes for you - you just email it with instructions.

    That's kinda what I was thinking, but the problem is, I don't have the
    faintest idea where to start. I know enough about Linux to install it, and
    that's about it... And I'm no programmer. That's why I need help :/ I'm
    hoping someone will stumble across this who could see it as an interesting
    challenge to take on and set up for me, because although I'm not lacking the
    drive or desire to set it up myself, I am severely lacking the know-how.

    --
    Adrian

    Adrian Wood, Feb 22, 2004
  6. Adrian Wood

    Hywel Guest

    In article <UF6_b.942$>,
    says...
    > > > * I send an e-mail to my linux box at home
    > > > * My Linux box e-mails me back the code
    > > > * I edit it and e-mail it back again
    > > > * My linux box takes this code and gives it to an FTP program which

    > uploads
    > > > it for me.

    > > Why not write a process for your Linux box that catches the email and
    > > does the changes for you - you just email it with instructions.

    > That's kinda what I was thinking, but the problem is, I don't have the
    > faintest idea where to start. I know enough about Linux to install it, and
    > that's about it... And I'm no programmer. That's why I need help :/ I'm
    > hoping someone will stumble across this who could see it as an interesting
    > challenge to take on and set up for me, because although I'm not lacking the
    > drive or desire to set it up myself, I am severely lacking the know-how.

    Write a Perl script to check the mail file for a particular address,
    parse the content of any email it finds, HTTP POST that to a script
    running on your web server, delete the email.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel, Feb 22, 2004
  7. Adrian Wood

    Adrian Wood Guest

    "Hywel" <> wrote in message
    > In article <UF6_b.942$>,
    > says...

    > > uploads
    > > >
    > > > Why not write a process for your Linux box that catches the email and
    > > > does the changes for you - you just email it with instructions.

    > > That's kinda what I was thinking, but the problem is, I don't have the
    > > faintest idea where to start. I know enough about Linux to install it,

    and
    > > that's about it... And I'm no programmer. That's why I need help :/ I'm
    > > hoping someone will stumble across this who could see it as an

    interesting
    > > challenge to take on and set up for me, because although I'm not lacking

    the
    > > drive or desire to set it up myself, I am severely lacking the know-how.

    > Write a Perl script to check the mail file for a particular address,
    > parse the content of any email it finds, HTTP POST that to a script
    > running on your web server, delete the email.

    The problem there is, even if I did know PERL, I don't have the capability
    of running a script on my server; I have webspace, but as previously
    mentioned, that's it. It's just a basic ISP giveaway, I'm afraid!

    Still, thanks for trying; at least it might come in useful if I wind up
    moving for whatever reason.

    --
    Adrian

    Adrian Wood, Feb 22, 2004
  8. Adrian Wood

    Augustus Guest

    "Adrian Wood" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all!
    >
    > I've set up a small personal website for mobile devices (PDAs/Smartphones
    > etc) with links to mobile-friendly websites.
    >
    > I've realised it would be very useful if I could update the site through

    my
    > PDA (A handspring Treo 600, Palm OS5.) The question is, how to do it?
    >
    > I was wondering if it's possible to build a web interface to do this;
    > something which would list the HTML pages currently on the site, and open

    up
    > the selected pages source in an editable format?
    >
    > I have plenty of webspace... about 55MB... but no server access on any

    other
    > level, so JAVAscript and XHTML are in, but PHP etc are out.
    >
    > Failing that, I guess I just have to learn to code and write a combined

    HTML
    > editor/FTP client for Palm. ;)

    If you could do server side scripting this wouldn't be that hard to do...
    but you don't

    Instead of "write a combined..." why don't you just download an FTP program
    to your palm and use a plain text editor? When you are done you can FTP the
    programs back up to the site (the web browser should be able to work as an
    FTP client as well)

    Augustus, Feb 22, 2004
  9. Adrian Wood wrote:

    > I was wondering if it's possible to build a web interface to do this;
    > something which would list the HTML pages currently on the site, and open up
    > the selected pages source in an editable format?
    >
    > I have plenty of webspace... about 55MB... but no server access on any other
    > level, so JAVAscript and XHTML are in, but PHP etc are out.

    To do this you will need something more than HTTP and FTP access to the
    server. Either:

    a) use some scripting language that can be run by the webserver (Perl,
    PHP, etc) to build a basic content management system;

    b) use a mail account and cron jobs to scan for incoming mail and add
    whatever they find to the web site; or

    c) find a second server that you can use to host CMS scripts as per option
    (a) and then upload the finished product to your main server by FTP.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 22, 2004
  10. Adrian Wood

    Hywel Guest

    In article <zX6_b.18156$ft.14371@newsfe1-win>, adrian.wood300
    @ntlworld.com says...
    > "Hywel" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <UF6_b.942$>,
    > > says...
    > > > uploads

    > > > That's kinda what I was thinking, but the problem is, I don't have the
    > > > faintest idea where to start. I know enough about Linux to install it,

    > and
    > > > that's about it... And I'm no programmer. That's why I need help :/ I'm
    > > > hoping someone will stumble across this who could see it as an

    > interesting
    > > > challenge to take on and set up for me, because although I'm not lacking

    > the
    > > > drive or desire to set it up myself, I am severely lacking the know-how.

    > > Write a Perl script to check the mail file for a particular address,
    > > parse the content of any email it finds, HTTP POST that to a script
    > > running on your web server, delete the email.

    > The problem there is, even if I did know PERL,

    Now's the time to learn, then.

    > I don't have the capability
    > of running a script on my server; I have webspace, but as previously
    > mentioned, that's it. It's just a basic ISP giveaway, I'm afraid!

    In that case, get your Perl script to create an HTML document that then
    gets FTP'd to the server using scripted FTP. Easy peasy.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel, Feb 22, 2004
  11. Adrian Wood

    Adrian Wood Guest

    "Hywel" <> wrote in message
    > In article <zX6_b.18156$ft.14371@newsfe1-win>, adrian.wood300
    > @ntlworld.com says...
    > > "Hywel" <> wrote in message
    > > > In article <UF6_b.942$>,
    > > > says...

    which

    and

    the

    it,
    > > and

    I'm

    > > interesting

    lacking
    > > the

    know-how.

    > > > Write a Perl script to check the mail file for a particular address,
    > > > parse the content of any email it finds, HTTP POST that to a script
    > > > running on your web server, delete the email.

    > > The problem there is, even if I did know PERL,

    > Now's the time to learn, then.

    A few pointers on where to start learning wouldn't go amiss?

    > > I don't have the capability
    > > of running a script on my server; I have webspace, but as previously
    > > mentioned, that's it. It's just a basic ISP giveaway, I'm afraid!

    > In that case, get your Perl script to create an HTML document that then
    > gets FTP'd to the server using scripted FTP. Easy peasy.

    Easy peasy, *if* you know how.

    I'm trying to keep the 'Linux proxy' approach as a backup; I'll be looking
    into it (I've been told Procmail can help out with the whole automated tasks
    thing) but unless I can get some serious help/advice in setting it up, the
    web interface seems the way to go.

    After all, useful as this feature I'm after would be, I could do without it,
    so learning a whole programming language just for this seems a little like
    the "wrecking ball to bang a nail" approach.

    --
    Adrian

    Adrian Wood, Feb 22, 2004
  12. Adrian Wood

    Hywel Guest

    In article <oy7_b.1156$>,
    says...

    http://www.google.com/ - Perl tutorial.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel, Feb 22, 2004
  13. Adrian Wood

    Adrian Wood Guest

    "Augustus" <> wrote in message

    > "Adrian Wood" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello all!
    > >
    > > I've set up a small personal website for mobile devices

    (PDAs/Smartphones
    > > etc) with links to mobile-friendly websites.
    > >
    > > I've realised it would be very useful if I could update the site through

    > my
    > > PDA (A handspring Treo 600, Palm OS5.) The question is, how to do it?
    > >
    > > I was wondering if it's possible to build a web interface to do this;
    > > something which would list the HTML pages currently on the site, and

    open
    > up
    > > the selected pages source in an editable format?
    > >
    > > I have plenty of webspace... about 55MB... but no server access on any

    > other
    > > level, so JAVAscript and XHTML are in, but PHP etc are out.
    > >
    > > Failing that, I guess I just have to learn to code and write a combined

    > HTML
    > > editor/FTP client for Palm. ;)

    > If you could do server side scripting this wouldn't be that hard to do...
    > but you don't
    >
    > Instead of "write a combined..." why don't you just download an FTP

    program
    > to your palm and use a plain text editor? When you are done you can FTP

    the
    > programs back up to the site (the web browser should be able to work as an
    > FTP client as well)

    Ahh, you might be onto something here.

    I didn't think there were any Palm FTP clients, but I rechecked based on
    your post and, sure enough, there are. Now it's just a matter of getting one
    that actually works, and I'm 99% sorted.

    --
    Adrian

    Adrian Wood, Feb 22, 2004
  14. Adrian Wood

    Adrian Wood Guest

    > "Augustus" <> wrote in message
    > > "Adrian Wood" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hello all!
    > > >
    > > > I've set up a small personal website for mobile devices

    > (PDAs/Smartphones
    > > > etc) with links to mobile-friendly websites.
    > > >
    > > > I've realised it would be very useful if I could update the site

    through
    > > my
    > > > PDA (A handspring Treo 600, Palm OS5.) The question is, how to do it?
    > > >
    > > > I have plenty of webspace... about 55MB... but no server access on any

    > > other
    > > > level, so JAVAscript and XHTML are in, but PHP etc are out.
    > > >
    > > > Failing that, I guess I just have to learn to code and write a

    combined
    > > HTML
    > > > editor/FTP client for Palm. ;)

    > > Instead of "write a combined..." why don't you just download an FTP

    > program
    > > to your palm and use a plain text editor? When you are done you can FTP

    > the
    > > programs back up to the site (the web browser should be able to work as

    an
    > > FTP client as well)

    > Ahh, you might be onto something here.
    >
    > I didn't think there were any Palm FTP clients, but I rechecked based on
    > your post and, sure enough, there are. Now it's just a matter of getting

    one
    > that actually works, and I'm 99% sorted.

    <snips>

    Turns out the problem wasn't with the FTP clients, but with my ISP
    apparently disallowing FTP access from connections outside their network. As
    a result of my posts here, I was generously offered use of a proper server
    to host from, and the result is, everything works!

    So, thanks to Augustus for the FTP client nudge, and J.E.S for the server
    space, I owe you one!

    As for everyone else, thanks for your suggestions, if things hadn't gone the
    way they had... well, let's just say I'd already started work on the Perl
    script I would've needed.

    --
    Adrian

    Adrian Wood, Feb 25, 2004