Updateable query!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by bol, Jan 27, 2005.

  1. bol

    bol Guest

    I am trying to get our extranet site working, i.e. login page. It seemed
    to work on my site and our internal intranet server but it's not working
    on the main webserver which our out of house staff use to log in.

    I keep on getting this message -

    Microsoft JET database engine error '80004005'
    Operation must use an updateble query.

    It then points to line 34 in a .asp file which I have checked over and
    over again.

    I have changed all the permissions on the root folder which then
    changes all the folders under it to write, read and execute to a group
    called authenticated users (staff that have to log in) but I still get
    this message. Does anybody know what else I can do apart from changing
    the permissions settings?

    Thanks in advance.

    Bol

    --
    bol

    bol, Jan 27, 2005

  2. ASP or ASP.NET? Subtle word change, but a potential world of difference in
    solution.

    The issue here, as stated, is the type of cursor. By default, an ADO
    connetion (ASP world) is a firehose cursor (fast-forward only). To conquer
    the error, you change cursor types.

    Not so fast, however, as 80004005 is, unfortunately, a rather generic error
    and the messages thrown are not always correct. Thus, the first thing I would
    look at, based on the "it works here, not here" scenario, is whether or not
    the logged in user has access to the directory the .mdb file sits in. With
    Access, the user using the database has to have write ability in the
    directory to create a lock (.ldb) file.

    Q: What user is using the application?
    A: If you are using a windows login (to the web app - will pop up a login
    box unless the network is set to avoid this), then you need to add the users
    to a domain group and give that group rights to the directory. If you have
    anonymous access on in the app, you are most likely running users under the
    IUSR account, so give it read/write access to the .mdb file and directory.

    ---

    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    =?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95IChHcmVnb3J5IEEuIEJlYW1lcikgLSBN, Jan 27, 2005