UpdateCommand with Datalist

Mark

Hi, I have a datalist that I use to display and edit records to a user.
Datalist shown below;

visual basic
code:-----------------------------------------------------------------------
-------
<asp:datalist id="dgContributors" runat="server" DataKeyField="PersonID">
<ItemTemplate>
<%# Container.DataItem("FirstName") %>
<asp:LinkButton text="Select" CommandName="edit" Runat="server"
ID="Linkbutton1" NAME="Linkbutton1"></asp:LinkButton>
</ItemTemplate>
<EditItemTemplate>
<asp:TextBox ID="txtFirstName" Text="<%# Container.DataItem("FirstName")
%>" Runat="server" width="100px"></asp:TextBox>
<asp:LinkButton text="Enter" CommandName="update" Runat="server"
ID="Linkbutton2" NAME="Linkbutton1"></asp:LinkButton>
</EditItemTemplate>
</asp:datalist>

I want to use the UpdateCommand to capture the new information entered into
the textbox and place this information into a database.
The code in the updateCommand is as follows

visual basic
code:-----------------------------------------------------------------------
-------
Private Sub dgContributors_UpdateCommand(ByVal source As Object, ByVal e As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataListCommandEventArgs) Handles
dgContributors.UpdateCommand
Dim oFirst As TextBox
oFirst = e.Item.FindControl("txtFirstName")

' Should print out the new information entered into the textbox but does
not. It prints out the previous information
Response.write(oFirst.Text)

End Sub

The problem I am having is even though the UpdateCommand fires the value of
the textbox does not change to the newly entered information...

Thanks for any help
Cheers
MarkusJ

Jos

Mark said:
The problem I am having is even though the UpdateCommand fires the value of
the textbox does not change to the newly entered information...

My first guess: you are databinding again on postback.
Use:
If Not Page.IsPostBack Then
<databinding code here>
End If

Mark

Hi, yep, that was it! Forgot the most basic part of the whole thing
<sheepish grin>

Thanks for your time
Cheers
Mark