UpdatePanel acts differently inside Content area of Master Page

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by John Kotuby, Feb 13, 2008.

  1. John Kotuby

    John Kotuby Guest

    Hi all,

    Just wondering why this would happen. I had created a standalone ASPX page
    in which 5 controls are wrapped in an UpdatePanel. The idea is Control1
    selection populates Control2 then Control2 populates Control3, all depending
    upon which selection the user makes in each contol. For example the Ctrl1 is
    a DataList. A selection there populates a 3rd party Grid Control. Selection
    of a Grid row populates a MultiView control.

    It was all working fine without an obvious Page refresh until I recreated
    that page inside of the content area of a Master Page. Now the page
    obviously refreshes in its entirety instead of just staying on-screen and
    having children of the Update Panel get "updated" with the appropriate
    content.

    Is there something different I must do to make the updating work correctly
    in the context of a Master Page?

    Thanks for any help...

    John Kotuby, Feb 13, 2008

  2. John Kotuby

    bruce barker Guest

    no. you must have made an mistake in converting the page.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Feb 13, 2008

  3. "John Kotuby" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Just wondering why this would happen. I had created a standalone ASPX page
    > in which 5 controls are wrapped in an UpdatePanel. The idea is Control1
    > selection populates Control2 then Control2 populates Control3, all
    > depending upon which selection the user makes in each contol. For example
    > the Ctrl1 is a DataList. A selection there populates a 3rd party Grid
    > Control. Selection of a Grid row populates a MultiView control.
    >
    > It was all working fine without an obvious Page refresh until I recreated
    > that page inside of the content area of a Master Page. Now the page
    > obviously refreshes in its entirety instead of just staying on-screen and
    > having children of the Update Panel get "updated" with the appropriate
    > content.
    >
    > Is there something different I must do to make the updating work correctly
    > in the context of a Master Page?

    Did you put a ScriptManagerProxy on the content page. I think that this used
    to be a requirement, although I seem to recall reading that it may not be
    required anymore (not sure what version that may or may not have happened).
    Anyway, it's something you might look into.

    Scott Roberts, Feb 13, 2008
  4. John Kotuby

    John Kotuby Guest

    Thanks Scott,
    I'll look into it. I was offline all day today coverting my internet access
    from DSL to CABLE. What a pain...

    "Scott Roberts" <-webworks-software.com> wrote in
    message news:...

    John Kotuby, Feb 15, 2008