updatepanel, gridview, calendar

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by JohnE, Mar 10, 2010.

  1. JohnE

    JohnE Guest

    I have a gridview that is inside an update panel. In the gridview there is a
    date field. In the Update mode, a calendar extender is used for a calendar
    extender (the full template source below). Simple, effective, and very user
    friendly when the update panel is not used.
    <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Target End Date"
    SortExpression="DevTargetEndDate">
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label ID="lblDevTargetEndDate"
    runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("DevTargetEndDate", "{0:M-d-yyyy}")
    %>'></asp:Label>
    </ItemTemplate>
    <EditItemTemplate>
    <asp:TextBox ID="txtDevTargetEndDate"
    runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("DevTargetEndDate", "{0:M-d-yyyy}")
    %>'></asp:TextBox>
    <cc1:CalendarExtender ID="calDevTargetEndDate"
    runat="server" TargetControlID="txtDevTargetEndDate"
    Format="M/d/yyyy"
    CssClass="ListEdit_theme1" >
    </cc1:CalendarExtender>
    </EditItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateField>

    When the update panel is used, the calendar is smaller, cramped looking, and
    not very user friendly. How the update panel and calendar able to co-exist
    together on the same gridview, properly?

    Thanks...John

    JohnE, Mar 10, 2010

  2. JohnE

    Andy O'Neill Guest

    "JohnE" <> wrote in message
    <<>>
    > When the update panel is used, the calendar is smaller, cramped looking,
    > and
    > not very user friendly. How the update panel and calendar able to
    > co-exist
    > together on the same gridview, properly?

    I've not fully explored it myself, but I heard the updatepanel can't cope
    with templated controls.
    If you google on "gridview updatepanel problem" you will see a stack of
    hits.

    Ajax is nice when it just works, not so nice when it doesn't.
    I moved onto silverlight.

    Andy O'Neill, Mar 10, 2010

  3. JohnE

    SOURAV DEY Guest

    On Mar 10, 10:16 am, JohnE <> wrote:
    > I have a gridview that is inside an update panel.  In the gridview there is a
    > date field.  In the Update mode, a calendar extender is used for a calendar
    > extender (the full template source below).  Simple, effective, and very user
    > friendly when the update panel is not used.
    >                     <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Target End Date"
    > SortExpression="DevTargetEndDate">
    >                         <ItemTemplate>
    >                             <asp:Label ID="lblDevTargetEndDate"
    > runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("DevTargetEndDate", "{0:M-d-yyyy}")
    > %>'></asp:Label>
    >                         </ItemTemplate>
    >                         <EditItemTemplate>
    >                             <asp:TextBox ID="txtDevTargetEndDate"
    > runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("DevTargetEndDate", "{0:M-d-yyyy}")
    > %>'></asp:TextBox>
    >                             <cc1:CalendarExtender ID="calDevTargetEndDate"
    > runat="server" TargetControlID="txtDevTargetEndDate"
    >                                     Format="M/d/yyyy"
    > CssClass="ListEdit_theme1" >
    >                             </cc1:CalendarExtender>
    >                         </EditItemTemplate>
    >                     </asp:TemplateField>
    >
    > When the update panel is used, the calendar is smaller, cramped looking, and
    > not very user friendly.  How the update panel and calendar able to co-exist
    > together on the same gridview, properly?
    >
    > Thanks...John

    Hi John,

    Check whether your gridview is within some div or span or panel. If
    your griview is inside these type of placeholders then put it outside
    of that and try.
    Let me know the result.

    SOURAV DEY, Mar 10, 2010
  4. JohnE

    JohnE Guest

    The gridview is inside the update panel so it does not go blank or flicker
    when controls are used. The calendar extender is in a templated field of the
    gridview.
    When the update panel is not used, all works and looks just fine.

    JohnE, Mar 10, 2010