Updating application without affecting logged in users

Guest

When we want to make updates to our application, we have to make sure all
users are logged out, or they will get kicked out when we copy a new DLL.

Our web application, using the 1.1 framework, we are not allowed to use
VS2003 to copy changes up to the application. Reason we are told this is
because it is in our DMZ and cannot be reached by computers in other domains.
Also, we were told that we are not allowed to copy front page extensions to
it to do copying from VS2003 anyway. (Not sure if I explained this verbatim,
but hopefully it is understandable and correct.)

Not sure if we are being told something that is not true, but the question I
have is...assuming the above paragraph is correct, we are using two virtual
folders for our application App1 & App2. When we need to make changes, we
redirect users to App2 and then wait for App1's users to finish, while all
new users will go to App2. Then we update App1 and then redirect back to
App1. Is this the next best thing to being able to update our application
since we cannot make changes without affecting logged in users? Thanks in
advance for any help.

Guest

Wannabe,
When you physically copy new assemblies, web.config or pages to your running
application, the original continues to run until all current requests have
completed.
Peter

Guest

Thanks for the reply, but that is not what we are seeing. When we manually
copy a new assembly, any users currently in the system will have their
session information cleared and be forced to re-login. Is there some setting
in IIS or something we are missing?

Guest

That's correct. I said, "until all current requests have completed". When a
new request comes in, it goes to the "new" version, which of course has no
Session state for that user (yet). If you need Session to persist across app
restarts, you could look into using State Server or SQL server Session state,
depending on how important this is to you.
Peter

--
Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Short urls & more: http://ittyurl.net