Updating asp.net DLLs in production webfarm

Joseph George

Hi,

I'm looking for some documentation on how to painlessly update an
asp.net website (DLLs and/or web.config) in a windows 2003 web farm
with minimum impact to the end users. Is this possible at all?

Can I remove each server one by one from the web farm, update it, then
put it back online? Sorry if I sound like a newbie, but I'm new to the
ASP.net enterprise arena.

Thanks,
jgp

Robbe Morris [C# MVP]

Just copy the file. If you are using StateServer, your
session will not be lost when the application recycles.

If you are using InProc, your users will loose session
and be asked to login in again. But, you are already
dealing with that a couple of times a day when your
application recycles anyway in windows 2003 server.

--
2004 and 2005 Microsoft MVP C#
Robbe Morris

Earn $$$ money answering .NET Framework
messageboard posts at EggHeadCafe.com.
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/forums/merit.asp

Chumma Dede

Thanks! We use state server, but we are seeing that some users get
compilation errors etc when the web app is re-compiling the aspx pages.

That is why I was wondering if there was an alternative to this.

Thanks.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Actually, I would remove all except one, at the lowest traffic time
for the website; update the ones taken out offline; then update the one
which you left online ( the old requests will be handled from memory,
and the new ones will be routed to the new assemblies ), and add the
offline servers one by one to the farm again.

If you don't have a bottleneck at your slowest traffic time,
by leaving only one server in the farm, that should work OK.