Updating documents in PyLucene

gefafwisp

Hi all,
The way that Lucene (and by extension, PyLucene) seems to work is that
updates to documents are implemented by the user as a document
addition (of the new version) and subsequent deletion (of the old
version).

My problem is that I'd like to update a number of documents which have
their Store flag set to NO - they're indexed, but not stored. I don't
have the original text content of these documents available anywhere
else - is there any way for me to get this un-stored indexed data from
the old document into the new?

Also posting to comp.lang.java.programmer.

Thanks,
James

Jarek Zgoda

(e-mail address removed) napisa³(a):
The way that Lucene (and by extension, PyLucene) seems to work is that
updates to documents are implemented by the user as a document
addition (of the new version) and subsequent deletion (of the old
version).

I'd switch the operations, first delete then add. Solr does this that
way and I decided to follow.
My problem is that I'd like to update a number of documents which have
their Store flag set to NO - they're indexed, but not stored. I don't
have the original text content of these documents available anywhere
else - is there any way for me to get this un-stored indexed data from
the old document into the new?

I think the answer is "no", there has to be some way of identifying
records that have to be deleted. If you do not store any document UID,
you are out of luck.

Anyway, you may get some hints on lucene mailing list.