Updating hierarchical data

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by PontiMax, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. PontiMax

    PontiMax Guest

    I'm working with the Northwind database
    tables 'Customers', 'Orders', and 'Order
    Details': 'CustomerID' relates 'Orders' to 'Customers',
    and 'OrderID' relates 'Order Details' to 'Orders'. For
    displaying this hierarchical data I create a DataSet,
    append and fill a DataTable for each database table, and
    finally set up two Relations.

    Say, I want to bind the dataset to a flat DataGrid where
    each row consists of the columns 'CompanyName' (from
    table 'Customers'), 'OrderDate' (from table 'Orders'),
    and 'Quantity' (from table 'Order Details'). The grid
    should be editable, i.e. each data modification should be
    send back to the database.

    Are there any guidelines for implementing this
    efficiently? Is it possible to bind datagrid columns to
    different DataTables (which in turn belong to the same
    DataSet)? How can I retain the relationship between
    columns and DataTable items?

    Thanks in advance,
    PontiMax
    PontiMax, Dec 17, 2003