upgrade from Visual .NET 2003 enterprise to which Visual .NET 2005

Guest

We have to upgrade our Visual Studio .NET 2003 enterprise edition to .NET
2005.
However, there is no enterprise edition for Visual Studio .NET 2005.
There are 4 versions available for visual studio team edition 2005,
Software Architect, Software Developer, Software Tester, and Team Suite
which includes all three architect, developer, and tester. There are also
professional and standard.

Which is one is equivalent to Visual Studio .NET 2003 enterprise edition?

Thank you for any comment.

I found some comparison before, but I can not it now.

David

Mark Fitzpatrick

I'm not 100% sure, but in using VS 2005 Pro as well as earlier Enterprise
editions I don't feel as much difference in the two. All the Team Suite
products are effectively new and each has an additional array of focus
features (such as a focus on unit testing, creating broad architectures,
etc..) You should be able to get 180-evaluation copies of any/all of these
though so it may be worth going that route first to guarantee that your
features are not missing from one version or another.

Guest

Thanks, Mark.

I have found a web site about it, but have no detail idea. We have 2003
architect edition. Perhaps, we need either profational edition or a team
architect for 2005.
Team edition is big money.

David

Peter Bradley

Ysgrifennodd david:
We have to upgrade our Visual Studio .NET 2003 enterprise edition to .NET
2005.
However, there is no enterprise edition for Visual Studio .NET 2005.
There are 4 versions available for visual studio team edition 2005,
Software Architect, Software Developer, Software Tester, and Team Suite
which includes all three architect, developer, and tester. There are also
professional and standard.

Which is one is equivalent to Visual Studio .NET 2003 enterprise edition?

Thank you for any comment.

I found some comparison before, but I can not it now.

David

Not sure there is an exact equivalent. We used to have VS2003
Enterprise Architect and wanted to go to Team Edition; but the prices
had gone up so much that we settled for Professional (which is next to
nothing for us as we buy via the UK CHEST agreement - for educational
establishments). The only thing lacking was the new team server, which
we had wanted because we were using VSS 6.0a, which was terrible.

So we dropped VSS for Subversion/TortoiseSVN/VisualSVN, and we haven't
looked back. I really like Subversion.

I think VS2003 Enterprise Edition had some modeling tools built in, but
we never used them because we didn't like them. We use Visual Paradigm
for modeling, which gives us everything we want.

HTH

Peter

sloan

My take is to wait for Orcas (VS2008) before laying out the money. And
stick to VS2005 Pro for now.

THe new tools are not as mature as they need to be.

And.....the advanced 2005 versions are just so freakin' expensive over the
Pro edition.

NUnit can do unit testing. As others have mentioned, there are MS
alternatives for the Enterprise tools.

I just got back from TechEd2007, and the 2008 stuff will be pretty slick.

PS
Unit Testing has been promised as a Pro version with 2008.

MS listened to all the complaining I think.