Upgrade .NET 3.0 to 3.5: Sites set to StateServer revert to InProc

Nicholas Piasecki

Scenario:

Take a server running .NET 3.0 and an ASP.NET Web site running in an
application pool that has Web gardens enabled (number of processes: 3). The
web.config configuration is as follows:

<sessionState
cookieless="UseCookies"
cookieName=".authz"
mode="StateServer"
regenerateExpiredSessionId="true"
stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424"
timeout="60"
useHostingIdentity="true" />

Now upgrade the machine to .NET 3.5 SP1. Reboot the server. Result: sessions
are no longer maintained across instances of w3wp.exe, as if all of the have
reverted to InProc. Reducing to 1 worker process is the current workaround.

What's strange: Same code on different server (.NET 3.5) experiences no
problems. I've experienced this problem before, but it magically went away
after a restart. I restarted this new problematic server once already, but no
joy so far.

Comparing the two machine.configs and web.configs of the two servers:
identical.

Someone else has experienced this problem
(http://forums.iis.net/t/1153948.aspx), but no answer there.

It's almost as if the ASP.NET state service sees the other worker processes
as different application instances (and not able to share their state), or
the separate application instances are behaving as if they are InProc,
despite the web.config file.

Any ideas? I'm really stumped on this one. Thanks.