upgrade perl without reinstalling all modules?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by peter pilsl, Jan 22, 2005.

  1. peter pilsl

    peter pilsl Guest

    I'm sorry if this is a FAQ. I searched the docs and did not find any
    satisfying answer.

    When upgrading my perl, is it possible to upgrade without need to remake
    all my thousends selfinstalled modules that depend on each other and
    will take me a day to find and reinstall.

    I've asked myself this question very often (every time I wanted to upgrade)

    In my actual case I only want to upgrade from 5.8.5 to 5.8.6 to get some
    of the utf8-bugfixes. Is it possible just to set a symlink from
    perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 to perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 ?

    As far as I understand under perl/site_perl/VERSION are all the
    user-installed modules and under perl/VERSION are all the core-modules
    that comes with perl itself.

    What can happen on such a minor upgrade (5.8.6 is only a bugfix to
    5.8.5)? What about major upgrades (from 5.6.x to 5.8.x) ?
    I dont ask about upgrade from 5.x to 6.x, cause this will be a bigger
    project then, needing a lot of brain-upgrade as well :)

    Any short tips and deep-insight-explanations are highly appretiated,
    thnx,
    peter

    --
    http://www2.goldfisch.at/know_list

    peter pilsl, Jan 22, 2005

  2. peter pilsl

    Andy Hassall Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:20:01 +0100, peter pilsl <> wrote:

    >When upgrading my perl, is it possible to upgrade without need to remake
    >all my thousends selfinstalled modules that depend on each other and
    >will take me a day to find and reinstall.
    >
    >I've asked myself this question very often (every time I wanted to upgrade)
    >
    >In my actual case I only want to upgrade from 5.8.5 to 5.8.6 to get some
    >of the utf8-bugfixes. Is it possible just to set a symlink from
    >perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 to perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 ?
    >
    >As far as I understand under perl/site_perl/VERSION are all the
    >user-installed modules and under perl/VERSION are all the core-modules
    >that comes with perl itself.
    >
    >What can happen on such a minor upgrade (5.8.6 is only a bugfix to
    >5.8.5)? What about major upgrades (from 5.6.x to 5.8.x) ?
    >I dont ask about upgrade from 5.x to 6.x, cause this will be a bigger
    >project then, needing a lot of brain-upgrade as well :)
    >
    >Any short tips and deep-insight-explanations are highly appretiated,

    Here's the end of my perl -V :

    Compile-time options: USE_LARGE_FILES
    Built under linux
    Compiled at Dec 4 2004 01:59:15
    @INC:
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i586-linux
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i586-linux
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i586-linux
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl

    Andy Hassall, Jan 22, 2005