Upgrade to Vs 2008 does not work

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Lloyd Sheen, Apr 2, 2008.

  1. Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen Guest

    Ok I copied a VS 2005 web site to another folder.

    Open my new VS 2008. Attempt to run.

    I get the following:

    Error 1 It is an error to use a section registered as
    in IIS. C:\Visual Studio Projects\Music Player Web Site\MusicSite\Web.config
    21

    The error points to :

    <sessionState timeout="60">
    </sessionState>

    This is not a virtual directory. I have one but it is attached to IIS7.0
    and is used when I publish.

    Any ideas??

    Thanks
    Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen, Apr 2, 2008

  2. Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen Guest

    "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in message
    > Ok I copied a VS 2005 web site to another folder.
    >
    > Open my new VS 2008. Attempt to run.
    >
    > I get the following:
    >
    > Error 1 It is an error to use a section registered as
    > allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
    > error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
    > application in IIS. C:\Visual Studio Projects\Music Player Web
    > Site\MusicSite\Web.config 21
    >

    > The error points to :
    >
    > <sessionState timeout="60">
    > </sessionState>
    >
    > This is not a virtual directory. I have one but it is attached to IIS7.0
    > and is used when I publish.
    >
    > Any ideas??
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lloyd Sheen

    When I delete the above I now get the following errors:

    Message 2 Could not find schema information for the element 'validation'.
    C:\Visual Studio Projects\Music Player Web Site\MusicSite\Web.config 62 4
    C:\...\MusicSite\
    Message 3 Could not find schema information for the attribute
    'validateIntegratedModeConfiguration'. C:\Visual Studio Projects\Music
    Player Web Site\MusicSite\Web.config 62 15 C:\...\MusicSite\
    Message 4 Could not find schema information for the element 'modules'.
    C:\Visual Studio Projects\Music Player Web Site\MusicSite\Web.config 63 4
    C:\...\MusicSite\
    Message 5 Could not find schema information for the element 'add'. C:\Visual
    Studio Projects\Music Player Web Site\MusicSite\Web.config 64 5
    C:\...\MusicSite\
    Message 6 Could not find schema information for the attribute 'name'.
    C:\Visual Studio Projects\Music Player Web Site\MusicSite\Web.config 64 9
    C:\...\MusicSite\
    Message 7 Could not find schema information for the attribute
    'preCondition'. C:\Visual Studio Projects\Music Player Web
    Site\MusicSite\Web.config 64 29 C:\...\MusicSite\
    Message 8 Could not find schema information for the attribute 'type'.
    C:\Visual Studio Projects\Music Player Web Site\MusicSite\Web.config 64 59
    C:\...\MusicSite\
    Message 9 Could not find schema information for the element 'handlers'.
    C:\Visual Studio Projects\Music Player Web Site\MusicSite\Web.config 66 4
    C:\...\MusicSite\
    Message 10 Could not find schema information for the element 'remove'.
    C:\Visual Studio Projects\Music Player Web Site\MusicSite\Web.config 67 5
    C:\...\MusicSite\
    Message 11 Could not find schema information for the attribute 'name'.
    C:\Visual Studio Projects\Music Player Web Site\MusicSite\Web.config 67 12
    C:\...\MusicSite\

    Things could not go much worse I think.

    LS

    Lloyd Sheen, Apr 2, 2008

  3. You must configured fresh folder you created as an application in IIS
    management console..

    George.

    George Ter-Saakov, Apr 2, 2008
  4. Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen Guest

    "George Ter-Saakov" <> wrote in message
    > You must configured fresh folder you created as an application in IIS
    > management console..
    >
    > George.
    >
    > "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in message
    >> Ok I copied a VS 2005 web site to another folder.
    >>
    >> Open my new VS 2008. Attempt to run.
    >>
    >> I get the following:
    >>
    >> Error 1 It is an error to use a section registered as
    >> allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
    >> error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
    >> application in IIS. C:\Visual Studio Projects\Music Player Web
    >> Site\MusicSite\Web.config 21
    >>

    >> The error points to :
    >>
    >> <sessionState timeout="60">
    >> </sessionState>
    >>
    >> This is not a virtual directory. I have one but it is attached to IIS7.0
    >> and is used when I publish.
    >>
    >> Any ideas??
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Lloyd Sheen

    I created a new folder (file system). I copied the contents of my VS 2005
    web site (file system) to the new folder. At this point I cannot see what
    relationship this has to IIS. If I "Publish" the site then I would use the
    virtual folder which is configure as an application.

    Until I get a working version in VS 2008 I see no relationship between my
    (file system) web site and ISS.

    If so what do I get rid of or change or ....????

    Thanks
    Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen, Apr 2, 2008
  5. Are you saying that you using Filesystem type of project for your ASP.NET
    application?
    Cause the error points that you are using IIS. And with IIS virtual (or not
    virtual) folder must be configured as an application if you planning to have
    web.config there...

    George.

    George Ter-Saakov, Apr 2, 2008
  6. Lloyd Sheen

    > Are you saying that you using Filesystem type of project for your ASP.NET
    > application?
    > Cause the error points that you are using IIS. And with IIS virtual (or
    > not virtual) folder must be configured as an application if you planning
    > to have web.config there...
    >
    > George.
    >

    > "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "George Ter-Saakov" <> wrote in message
    >>> You must configured fresh folder you created as an application in IIS
    >>> management console..
    >>>
    >>> George.
    >>>
    >>> "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in message

    >> I created a new folder (file system). I copied the contents of my VS
    >> 2005 web site (file system) to the new folder. At this point I cannot
    >> see what relationship this has to IIS. If I "Publish" the site then I
    >> would use the virtual folder which is configure as an application.
    >>
    >> Until I get a working version in VS 2008 I see no relationship between my
    >> (file system) web site and ISS.
    >>
    >> If so what do I get rid of or change or ....????
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Lloyd Sheen

    Yes I am using filesystem not IIS. The project (2005) is filesystem but has
    a publish which sends it to IIS.

    LS

    Lloyd Sheen, Apr 2, 2008
  7. Lloyd Sheen

    > "George Ter-Saakov" <> wrote in message
    >> Are you saying that you using Filesystem type of project for your ASP.NET
    >> application?
    >> Cause the error points that you are using IIS. And with IIS virtual (or
    >> not virtual) folder must be configured as an application if you planning
    >> to have web.config there...
    >>
    >> George.
    >>

    >> "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "George Ter-Saakov" <> wrote in message

    >>> I created a new folder (file system). I copied the contents of my VS
    >>> 2005 web site (file system) to the new folder. At this point I cannot
    >>> see what relationship this has to IIS. If I "Publish" the site then I
    >>> would use the virtual folder which is configure as an application.
    >>>
    >>> Until I get a working version in VS 2008 I see no relationship between
    >>> my (file system) web site and ISS.
    >>>
    >>> If so what do I get rid of or change or ....????
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Lloyd Sheen

    > Yes I am using filesystem not IIS. The project (2005) is filesystem but
    > has a publish which sends it to IIS.
    >
    > LS

    Ok now it seems that somehow I managed to convince VS 2008 that my folder
    structure required that the top level folder was the solution. Now the
    original solution contained the web site and a project with the DAL. Simply
    creating a new folder with the web site folder and the DAL folder did not
    work and all the references were totally out of wack.

    What I had to do was delete all this so that VS 2008 told me it could not
    find it and then recopy the two folders under a general folder I have
    created for VS projects.

    I could then open the web site and add an existing project (DAL). This
    brings things back to "normal"

    LS

    Lloyd Sheen, Apr 2, 2008