Upgrade tool in VS 2005 for Asp.Net projects is completely unusable

rob

Does anyone else out there have experience upgrading LARGE ASP.Net
projects from VS 2003 to VS 2005? If so I would love to hear if you
had any luck. Here is a summary of my experience:

I have tried in Beta 2, August CTP, and now RC to get my Asp.Net 1.1
project to convert up to 2.0 via the conversion wizard. I have say,
after spending almost a week on this that the conversion wizard is
totally broken and unusable. A lot of this stuff is first level
bugs...

I CANNOT post the code as the project links to a large number of other
projects, at a high leve, here is what I found:

- the word [Partial] was used, yet it should be Partial
- namespace was duplicated, example, should have been MyNamespace, was
converted to MyNamespace.MyNameSpace
- code behind files were ALL moved to the App_Code directory, I had to
move them back to the same location as the .aspx files
- some filenames where change Migrated_<filename>, and only partially
converted
- Messed up the inheritance on several usercontrols and web pages, had
to add back in Inherits System.Web.UI.UserControl etc
- global.asax, the file cannot have a code behind file, had to nuke it
and re-design it
- had to nuke all: <%@ Reference Page="~/webforms/start.aspx" %> due to
circular reference error
- several files still had codebehind in page directive, not CodeFile
- several Protected WithEvents left in, have to be removed otherwise
get duplicate error
- had to make a new web.config file, completely incompatible
- after FINALLY getting it to compile no types can be loaded when
trying to run it the application

Guest

remember.. it's still an RC... it's not "ready for production" quite yet.
I think if you hold out the 2 more months, you'll be able to get a much more
difinitive solution.

rob

It's not that simple, RC code is not likley to change before RTM in any
drastic ways. Also, my team needs to be working now, not two months
from now. MS has been very bold on this issue, in fact they even issued
a challenge a few months ago about upgrading projects. Too bad my
testing was not done during that time...

I even had some of my guys at PDC try and pin down the MS guys there on
this, none of their suggestions made the problems go away.

Thanks for your reply.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Rob,

I'm sure the problem you're suffering is a really big pain and I can
understand your concerns. However as the WHIDBEY .NET framework and VS
TOOLS is about to release, our dev guys are all crazy at struggling with
fixing product bugs. Also, I think they'll soon move on improving the
migration tools according to the schedule priority. I'm sorry for any
inconvenience it brings you currenlty.

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed)
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| Subject: Re: Upgrade tool in VS 2005 for Asp.Net projects is completely
unusabl
| Date: 15 Sep 2005 10:37:53 -0700
|
| It's not that simple, RC code is not likley to change before RTM in any
| drastic ways. Also, my team needs to be working now, not two months
| from now. MS has been very bold on this issue, in fact they even issued
| a challenge a few months ago about upgrading projects. Too bad my
| testing was not done during that time...
|
| I even had some of my guys at PDC try and pin down the MS guys there on
| this, none of their suggestions made the problems go away.
|
| Thanks for your reply.

rob

Thanks for the reply, that's pretty much what I thought, what's in the
RC now is pretty much what we will get in the GA release.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your understanding Rob,

Regards,