Upgrading and modules

Brian Elmegaard

Hi,

Every time I upgrade python I also have to download all packages and
reinstall them.

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles/upgrading_python.html
tells me that this is only a problem on windows for some reasons that
have to do with binary distributions, compiling and more.

This leads me to the questions:
1: Isn't there a better way?
2: Why is compilation needed for installation of a package?
3: Why isn't python backwards compatible so reinstallation is
unneeded?
4: Would it help if python was compiled with gcc/mingw so installation
would be the same as on other systems?
5: What about a package repository and a manager like miktex has?

regards,

BartlebyScrivener

Are you saying you're on Windows?

If so, try:

http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/

It's a one-click, msi install with everything you need for win32,
including IDE etc.

Only thing to watch for is that sometimes the msi file won't install
from a logical drive other than c:\. So if you get a file access error
or something, copy the install file to the root of your c:\ drive and
double-click on it.

I'm sure someone else will come along with advice for the Python.org
installation.

rick

Brian Elmegaard

BartlebyScrivener said:
Are you saying you're on Windows?
Yes

It's a one-click, msi install with everything you need for win32,
including IDE etc.

I don't it includes every possible module, e.g., py2exe, ctypes,
mysqldb, wxpython...

Lawrence Oluyede

Brian Elmegaard said:
I don't it includes every possible module, e.g., py2exe, ctypes,
mysqldb, wxpython...

Right but since Python doesn't have a full-integrated central packaging
(despite the ongoing Pypi project and Eby's efforts in setuptools) you have to
do it manually :)

How many modules do you really use? It's a matter of minutes.

Brian Elmegaard

Lawrence Oluyede said:
(despite the ongoing Pypi project and Eby's efforts in setuptools)
you have to do it manually :)

Great, there is progress in this.
How many modules do you really use? It's a matter of minutes.

Yes, but 60 minutes make an hour. I installed 2.4 some days ago. I
then needed ctypes and mySQLdb. Both of them had had some updates in
addition to the version change. What could have been seconds did take
a while because of this. Of course it is because I try to do both
steps in one installation.