    reinstalled/reconfigured for 2.6?

    Platform: Windows XP Pro SP3

    Daniel Klein
    Daniel Klein, Oct 12, 2008

  2. > Are there any guidelines for upgrading from 2.5 to 2.6?

    Dear Daniel,

    Python 2.5 and 2.6 can coexist, so there isn't any need for some
    kind of upgrade procedure. Installing 2.6 will not affect your
    2.5 installation.

    > Do you have to uninstall 2.5, or does the installer do that for you?

    No. After installing 2.6, 2.5 will still be around, with all its
    add-ons. If you want 2.5 to disappear, you should uninstall
    it first.

    > I have wxPython, mod_python and Django installed. Will these have to
    > reinstalled/reconfigured for 2.6?

    Yes, that will be necessary.

    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin v. Löwis, Oct 13, 2008

  3. Daniel Klein

    Mensanator Guest

    On Oct 12, 11:22�pm, "Martin v. L�wis" <> wrote:
    > > Are there any guidelines for upgrading from 2.5 to 2.6?

    > Dear Daniel,
    >
    > Python 2.5 and 2.6 can coexist, so there isn't any need for some
    > kind of upgrade procedure. Installing 2.6 will not affect your
    > 2.5 installation.
    >
    > > Do you have to uninstall 2.5, or does the installer do that for you?

    > No. After installing 2.6, 2.5 will still be around, with all its
    > add-ons. If you want 2.5 to disappear, you should uninstall
    > it first.
    >
    > > I have wxPython, mod_python and Django installed. Will these have to
    > > reinstalled/reconfigured for 2.6?

    > Yes, that will be necessary.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    A reason you might want to keep version 2.5 is that
    even systems that supposedly work in 2.6 sometimes
    don't because they never actually tested it with
    2.6. That's rare, but it does happen, so you might
    want 2.5 around until you verify that everything
    works in 2.6 like it's supposed to.
    Mensanator, Oct 13, 2008
  4. Daniel Klein

    Tim Roberts Guest

    Daniel Klein <> wrote:

    >Are there any guidelines for upgrading from 2.5 to 2.6?
    >
    >Do you have to uninstall 2.5, or does the installer do that for you?

    Neither. It will be installed in a separate directory. If you don't want
    2.5 any more, you can uninstall it yourself from Control Panel.

    >I have wxPython, mod_python and Django installed. Will these have to
    >reinstalled/reconfigured for 2.6?

    Yes. Each major version (2.4, 2.5, 2.6) is separate, and has its own DLL.
    Further, assuming you installed these using MSIs or Windows exes, you will
    have to download new versions of them.
    --
    Tim Roberts,
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
    Tim Roberts, Oct 13, 2008
  5. Daniel Klein

    Matimus Guest

    > Python 2.5 and 2.6 can coexist, so there isn't any need for some
    > kind of upgrade procedure. Installing 2.6 will not affect your
    > 2.5 installation.

    That isn't entirely true. In Windows, python files bound to a
    particular version of python in the registry. So, for example, if you
    double click on "some_prog.py" to run it, then it will by default
    start up using python2.6 once it is installed. Also right-clicking on
    a file and selecting "edit with Idle" will open the version of Idle
    associated with 2.6 (under 2.6). This is a minor difference, but I
    wouldn't say that there are no side effects. They can be easily worked
    around.

    Matt
    Matimus, Oct 13, 2008
  6. > That isn't entirely true. In Windows, python files bound to a
    > particular version of python in the registry. So, for example, if you
    > double click on "some_prog.py" to run it, then it will by default
    > start up using python2.6 once it is installed. Also right-clicking on
    > a file and selecting "edit with Idle" will open the version of Idle
    > associated with 2.6 (under 2.6). This is a minor difference, but I
    > wouldn't say that there are no side effects. They can be easily worked
    > around.

    Indeed. Notice that, at installation time, you have the option to chose
    whether the new version should associate itself with the .py extension
    or not. Through APR (add-remove-programs), you can later change that
    also - unselect it in one installation, then select it in the other
    (or run the repair installation if you selected it twice).

    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin v. Löwis, Oct 14, 2008
  7. En Tue, 14 Oct 2008 02:26:50 -0300, Martin v. Löwis <>
    escribió:

    >> That isn't entirely true. In Windows, python files bound to a
    >> particular version of python in the registry. So, for example, if you
    >> double click on "some_prog.py" to run it, then it will by default
    >> start up using python2.6 once it is installed. Also right-clicking on
    >> a file and selecting "edit with Idle" will open the version of Idle
    >> associated with 2.6 (under 2.6). This is a minor difference, but I
    >> wouldn't say that there are no side effects. They can be easily worked
    >> around.

    > Indeed. Notice that, at installation time, you have the option to chose
    > whether the new version should associate itself with the .py extension
    > or not. Through APR (add-remove-programs), you can later change that
    > also - unselect it in one installation, then select it in the other
    > (or run the repair installation if you selected it twice).

    I'd say the wording in the installer is unfortunate. The option is labeled
    "Register extensions" and for some time I thought it was related to
    ..pyd/.dll files ("C extensions"), not "Associate .py files to this Python
    installation"

    --
    Gabriel Genellina
    Gabriel Genellina, Oct 14, 2008
  8. > I'd say the wording in the installer is unfortunate. The option is
    > labeled "Register extensions" and for some time I thought it was related
    > to .pyd/.dll files ("C extensions"), not "Associate .py files to this
    > Python installation"

    Unfortunately, I think this is too long for the available space.

    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin v. Löwis, Oct 14, 2008
  9. Daniel Klein

    Steve Holden Guest

    Martin v. Löwis wrote:
    >> I'd say the wording in the installer is unfortunate. The option is
    >> labeled "Register extensions" and for some time I thought it was related
    >> to .pyd/.dll files ("C extensions"), not "Associate .py files to this
    >> Python installation"

    > Unfortunately, I think this is too long for the available space.

    How about "Make default Python"?

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    Steve Holden, Oct 14, 2008
  10. Daniel Klein

    Steve Holden Guest

    Steve Holden, Oct 14, 2008