Upgrading from 5.6.0 to latest version on SuSE 7.3 box

Robert Oschler

Hello,

I am running SuSE Linux 7.3 with Apache 1.3.9 and Perl 5.6.0. I want to
upgrade my Perl installation to the latest version. I am a Perl newbie so
I'd like to know the best way to do this. I have already setup CPAN to work
on my system and I get to a CPAN prompt without trouble. What I need to
know is

- Is the CPAN the right way to upgrade my Perl installation, or is it just
for modules?
- If CPAN is the way to go, where can I find a doc outlining the proper
steps for a smooth upgrade?
- Do I need to upgrade mod_perl myself, so that Apache recognizes the
upgrade?
- Or is SuSE's Yast2 the better way to do this? If so, I need to know how
to use Yast2 to upgrade a specific package.

URL's welcome.

Thanks

David Efflandt

I am running SuSE Linux 7.3 with Apache 1.3.9 and Perl 5.6.0. I want to
upgrade my Perl installation to the latest version. I am a Perl newbie so
I'd like to know the best way to do this. I have already setup CPAN to work
on my system and I get to a CPAN prompt without trouble. What I need to
know is

- Is the CPAN the right way to upgrade my Perl installation, or is it just
for modules?
- If CPAN is the way to go, where can I find a doc outlining the proper
steps for a smooth upgrade?
- Do I need to upgrade mod_perl myself, so that Apache recognizes the
upgrade?
- Or is SuSE's Yast2 the better way to do this? If so, I need to know how
to use Yast2 to upgrade a specific package.

You might want to upgrade your SuSE, 7.3 is getting rather old and not
sure how long it will be supported for security updates, etc. YaST2 in
newer versions is much quicker doing system updates.

I just ftp installed the 64-bit version of SuSE 9.1 on a new PC. It came
with Perl v5.8.3 (in my case built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi). My
other SuSE 8.2 Pro box has v5.8.0 built for i586-linux-thread-multi.

Robert Oschler

David Efflandt said:
You might want to upgrade your SuSE, 7.3 is getting rather old and not
sure how long it will be supported for security updates, etc. YaST2 in
newer versions is much quicker doing system updates.

I just ftp installed the 64-bit version of SuSE 9.1 on a new PC. It came
with Perl v5.8.3 (in my case built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi). My
other SuSE 8.2 Pro box has v5.8.0 built for i586-linux-thread-multi.

David,

Yeah sigh. I don't mind doing fresh installs of an O/S, but upgrades give
me the chills. I guess its time.

Thanks,