upgrading gems with native dependencies

Deepak Kannan

hi,

I have installed a gem with a native dependency.
eg. have installed the yajl library from: http://github.com/lloyd/yajl
and then have installed yajl-ruby gem:
http://github.com/brianmario/yajl-ruby

If i upgrade the native package, then do i have to reinstall the gem?
Also even before doing that, can i find the gems that depend on the
package. This is because i may not know the gems offhand that depend on
the native package.

cheers,
deepak

deepak

Any help?
Can i check the reverse dependency of a native code ie. all the gems
that depend on the native lib (maybe a c library)

regards,
deepak

Roger Pack

If i upgrade the native package, then do i have to reinstall the gem?

Does it remove the old, previous version of the package?
using ldd -l on the .so file can tell you if you removed a dependency
file.
Also even before doing that, can i find the gems that depend on the
package. This is because i may not know the gems offhand that depend on
the native package.

Currently gems don't list what packages they depend on. They should
though, really.
There is also a gem "pristine" command that might help you.
-r