    i have been using jdk 1.4.2 and now i want to upgrade to 1.6.
    How will this affect the programmes that have been running afterwards?
    what changes will i have to make for weblogic server and tomcat?

    ruds, Jul 27, 2007

  2. ruds

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 22:08:28 -0700, ruds <> wrote,

    >i have been using jdk 1.4.2 and now i want to upgrade to 1.6.
    >How will this affect the programmes that have been running afterwards?
    >what changes will i have to make for weblogic server and tomcat?

    there is nothing you must do to your existing code. You might want to
    recompile it, or run it through something like IntelliJ inspector to
    convert loops to for:each, generify your Collections etc, but that is
    optional.

    As for your webserver, I don't recall having to do anything, or if it
    was , it was just fixing one line in a config file somewhere. Just use
    a global search utility like Funduc see
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sr.html
    to see if you can find the name of the old compiler burned into any
    config file.

    Make sure your new Javac.exe is on the path and the old one is not.
    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary

    Roedy Green, Jul 27, 2007

  3. ruds wrote:
    > i have been using jdk 1.4.2 and now i want to upgrade to 1.6.
    > How will this affect the programmes that have been running afterwards?
    > what changes will i have to make for weblogic server and tomcat?

    Existing compiled classes should continue to run.

    Existing source code should compile with -source 1.4 without
    changes.

    If you want to use the new features, then you may need to
    make some changes to get it to compile (like if you have
    been calling variables for enum).

    Arne

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Jul 29, 2007
  4. Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 22:08:28 -0700, ruds <> wrote,
    >> i have been using jdk 1.4.2 and now i want to upgrade to 1.6.
    >> How will this affect the programmes that have been running afterwards?
    >> what changes will i have to make for weblogic server and tomcat?

    > there is nothing you must do to your existing code. You might want to
    > recompile it, or run it through something like IntelliJ inspector to
    > convert loops to for:each, generify your Collections etc, but that is
    > optional.

    There are a few changes that are non optional.

    Most well known are probably variables named enum.

    Arne

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Jul 29, 2007