Upgrading perl and module use

Brian Salter-Duke

When I upgraded perl, it could not find my installed modules (the ones I
had installed). Is there a way to get perl to use modules that are under a
different version tree structure, or do I have to reinstall the modules?

Tad McClellan

Brian Salter-Duke said:
When I upgraded perl,

From what version to what version?

it could not find my installed modules (the ones I
had installed). Is there a way to get perl to use modules that are under a
different version tree structure,

Yes, the way given in the Perl FAQ no less!

perldoc -q module

How do I keep my own module/library directory?

or do I have to reinstall the modules?

Maybe.

Are they pure Perl modules or do they use XS?

Some versions of Perl are not binary-compatible with other versions.

Brian Salter-Duke

From what version to what version?

The last was 5.6.0 to 5.6.1, but I ought to go to 5.8 soon
Yes, the way given in the Perl FAQ no less!

perldoc -q module

How do I keep my own module/library directory?

Thanks. I'll look at that.
Maybe.

Are they pure Perl modules or do they use XS?

Not sure, but I think most are pure perl.

Brian.

Brian Salter-Duke

From what version to what version?

Yes, the way given in the Perl FAQ no less!

perldoc -q module

How do I keep my own module/library directory?

I followed this up, but it about your own private library. This is not
what I want. I have a partial answer. 5.6.1 was installed in the
/usr/local/lib tree. 5.6.0 was installed in the /usr/lib. I can add all
the 5.6.0 stuff:-

/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0
/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i386-linux
/usr/lib/perl5/site-perl
/usr/lib/perl5/site-perl/5.6.0
/usr/lib/perl5/site-perl/5.6.0/i386-linux

to $PERL5LIB environmental variable. However, I am not sure but I think
it then searches the 5.6.0 libraries before it searches the 5.6.1
libraries. Of course I want the opposite as 5.6.1 might have a leter
version than 5.6.0 if I installed in the former after I installed in the
latter. I guess you can get around this by putting the 5.6.1 in
$PERL5LIB too in the right order, but this repeats the 5.6.1 in @INC.
Is there a better way. I must be missing something.

Ben Morrow

I followed this up, but it about your own private library. This is not
what I want. I have a partial answer. 5.6.1 was installed in the
/usr/local/lib tree. 5.6.0 was installed in the /usr/lib. I can add all
the 5.6.0 stuff:-

When you install perl, it looks for old versions and asks if you want
to add their library paths to that of the new perl.

Ben