    My real address is b_duke(AT)octa4(DOT)net(DOT)au
    Use this for reply or followup
    Perl user for eight years - the way to go.

    Brian Salter-Duke, Nov 7, 2003

  2. Brian Salter-Duke <> wrote:

    > When I upgraded perl,

    From what version to what version?

    > it could not find my installed modules (the ones I
    > had installed). Is there a way to get perl to use modules that are under a
    > different version tree structure,

    Yes, the way given in the Perl FAQ no less!

    perldoc -q module

    How do I keep my own module/library directory?

    > or do I have to reinstall the modules?

    Maybe.

    Are they pure Perl modules or do they use XS?

    Some versions of Perl are not binary-compatible with other versions.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Nov 7, 2003

  3. On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 17:18:50 -0600, Tad McClellan <> wrote:
    > Brian Salter-Duke <> wrote:
    >
    >> When I upgraded perl,

    > From what version to what version?

    The last was 5.6.0 to 5.6.1, but I ought to go to 5.8 soon

    >> it could not find my installed modules (the ones I
    >> had installed). Is there a way to get perl to use modules that are under a
    >> different version tree structure,

    > Yes, the way given in the Perl FAQ no less!
    >
    > perldoc -q module
    >
    > How do I keep my own module/library directory?

    Thanks. I'll look at that.

    >> or do I have to reinstall the modules?

    > Maybe.
    >
    > Are they pure Perl modules or do they use XS?

    Not sure, but I think most are pure perl.

    Brian.

    > Some versions of Perl are not binary-compatible with other versions.

    --
    Brian Salter-Duke Humpty Doo, Nr Darwin, Australia

    Brian Salter-Duke, Nov 8, 2003
  4. On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 17:18:50 -0600, Tad McClellan <> wrote:
    > Brian Salter-Duke <> wrote:
    >
    >> When I upgraded perl,

    > From what version to what version?
    >

    >> it could not find my installed modules (the ones I
    >> had installed). Is there a way to get perl to use modules that are under a
    >> different version tree structure,

    > Yes, the way given in the Perl FAQ no less!
    >
    > perldoc -q module
    >
    > How do I keep my own module/library directory?

    I followed this up, but it about your own private library. This is not
    what I want. I have a partial answer. 5.6.1 was installed in the
    /usr/local/lib tree. 5.6.0 was installed in the /usr/lib. I can add all
    the 5.6.0 stuff:-

    /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i386-linux
    /usr/lib/perl5/site-perl
    /usr/lib/perl5/site-perl/5.6.0
    /usr/lib/perl5/site-perl/5.6.0/i386-linux

    to $PERL5LIB environmental variable. However, I am not sure but I think
    it then searches the 5.6.0 libraries before it searches the 5.6.1
    libraries. Of course I want the opposite as 5.6.1 might have a leter
    version than 5.6.0 if I installed in the former after I installed in the
    latter. I guess you can get around this by putting the 5.6.1 in
    $PERL5LIB too in the right order, but this repeats the 5.6.1 in @INC.
    Is there a better way. I must be missing something.

    Brian Salter-Duke, Nov 8, 2003
  5. Brian Salter-Duke

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Brian Salter-Duke <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 17:18:50 -0600, Tad McClellan
    > <> wrote:
    > > Brian Salter-Duke <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> When I upgraded perl,

    <snip>
    > I followed this up, but it about your own private library. This is not
    > what I want. I have a partial answer. 5.6.1 was installed in the
    > /usr/local/lib tree. 5.6.0 was installed in the /usr/lib. I can add all
    > the 5.6.0 stuff:-

    When you install perl, it looks for old versions and asks if you want
    to add their library paths to that of the new perl.

    Ben

    --
    'Deserve [death]? I daresay he did. Many live that deserve death. And some die
    that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal

    Ben Morrow, Nov 9, 2003
  6. On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 01:45:12 +0000 (UTC), Ben Morrow

    Brian Salter-Duke, Nov 9, 2003