Upgrading python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Stephen Boulet, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. When I upgrade from 2.2.3 to 2.3 on windows, do I first uninstall 2.2.3?

    -- Stephen

    Stephen Boulet, Jul 30, 2003

  2. Stephen Boulet <> writes:

    > When I upgrade from 2.2.3 to 2.3 on windows, do I first uninstall 2.2.3?

    If you want to, you can have both 2.2 and 2.3 installed, side-by-side.
    If you want to replace 2.2, you should uninstall it first.

    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin v. =?iso-8859-15?q?L=F6wis?=, Jul 30, 2003

  3. Stephen Boulet wrote:
    > When I upgrade from 2.2.3 to 2.3 on windows, do I first uninstall 2.2.3?

    There's no need to.

    -- Gerhard

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=, Jul 30, 2003
  4. Stephen Boulet

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    Stephen Boulet <> wrote:

    >I guess that I had in mind a move from 2.2.2 to 2.2.3. What's the rule
    >for a minor upgrade like this?

    Uninstall first.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    with useful practice. --Aahz

    Aahz, Jul 30, 2003
  5. On 30 Jul 2003 06:43:22 +0200, (Martin v. =?iso-8859-15?q?L=F6wis?=) wrote:

    >Stephen Boulet <> writes:
    >
    >> When I upgrade from 2.2.3 to 2.3 on windows, do I first uninstall 2.2.3?

    >If you want to, you can have both 2.2 and 2.3 installed, side-by-side.
    >If you want to replace 2.2, you should uninstall it first.

    How do I know what will happen to file extension associations and the system path search
    that takes unadorned python and finds some/path/to/python23.exe?

    And how does the old python22 find what it needs? Do I need to go through a .cmd file that
    sets up its environment before running? How do I know everything it needs?

    IOW, how do you set up a clean way to run both 2.2.3 and 2.3 "side by side" but separately,
    with default "python" going to 2.3? I am being lazy in not reading the install docs yet,
    but does it cover the question fully? If so, the answer to this post can just be "yes" ;-)

    Regards,
    Bengt Richter

    Bengt Richter, Jul 30, 2003
  6. Stephen> I guess that I had in mind a move from 2.2.2 to 2.2.3. What's
    Stephen> the rule for a minor upgrade like this?

    I'd actually be more careful there than if I was just installing 2.3. I'd
    uninstall 2.2.2, then install 2.2.3. I'd also rummage back through the
    folders containing third-party stuff (stuff which winds up in site-packages)
    and reexecute

    python setup.py clean
    python setup.py install

    Skip

    Skip Montanaro, Jul 30, 2003
  7. Stephen Boulet

    John Roth Guest

    =?iso-8859-15?q?L=F6wis?=) wrote:

    > >Stephen Boulet <> writes:
    > >
    > >> When I upgrade from 2.2.3 to 2.3 on windows, do I first uninstall

    2.2.3?

    > >If you want to, you can have both 2.2 and 2.3 installed, side-by-side.
    > >If you want to replace 2.2, you should uninstall it first.
    > >

    > How do I know what will happen to file extension associations and the

    system path search
    > that takes unadorned python and finds some/path/to/python23.exe?
    >
    > And how does the old python22 find what it needs? Do I need to go through

    a .cmd file that
    > sets up its environment before running? How do I know everything it needs?
    >
    > IOW, how do you set up a clean way to run both 2.2.3 and 2.3 "side by

    side" but separately,
    > with default "python" going to 2.3? I am being lazy in not reading the

    install docs yet,
    > but does it cover the question fully? If so, the answer to this post can

    just be "yes" ;-)

    As with most things having to do with installation, the answer is a bit
    complicated. On Windows, Python keeps its information in separate
    keys by major release, so there's a different key for Python 2.2 and Python
    2.3. That's compiled into the executable, so anything that's in the registry
    is kept nice and separate. So you can have two or more major releases
    side by side. You can't have two minor releases, though, because they
    use the same registry key.

    The keys aren't secret, so any outboard programs that need a specific
    version of Python can go right to it. Where the difficulty lies is that
    other things, such as the system path for finding executables and the
    file name associations don't have the same facility. So if I wanted to
    just be able to doubleclick on a .py or .pyc file and have it find the
    correct executable, I'm out of luck unless I do some arcane system
    programming. (That is, associate them with a program that figures
    out from the directories or the "magic number" which version of
    python is wanted, and then invokes it.)

    If all you want is for the default to be 2.3, then just make certain
    that the system path goes to the proper directory. All your
    file name associations will tag along as long as the command
    keys didn't include full paths.

    And I find that .cmd files are my friends. I use them to set the
    Pythonpath so I don't have to figure out a path that's going to
    work for everything, now and forever. And they work very
    well for drag and drop targets for those little utilities that operate
    on one file...

    John Roth

    John Roth, Jul 30, 2003