    Response.redirect to the comparably named apsx page.

    Is this pretty much standard practice when upgrading?

    Any insights from someone who has done this?
    Dave1031, Aug 22, 2008

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZTEwMzE=?=
    <> writing in

    > I know I am quite behind the times but I need to finally upgrade our
    > website from classic ASP 3.0 to ASP.Net.
    >
    > I plan on creating apsx pages with the same names as the old asp
    > pages. Then remove all of the code from the old asp page with the
    > exception of a Response.redirect to the comparably named apsx page.
    >
    > Is this pretty much standard practice when upgrading?
    >
    > Any insights from someone who has done this?

    If you have an include that all the pages use, that might be at the top
    before anything is written out to the client, you could put the
    information there. I would suggest, however, using a 301 response code,
    that will tell search engines that this is a _permanent_ redirect.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Aug 23, 2008

  3. Dave1031

    Old Pedant Guest

    "Dave1031" wrote:

    > I plan on creating apsx pages with the same names as the old asp pages.
    > Then remove all of the code from the old asp page with the exception of a
    > Response.redirect to the comparably named apsx page.

    There is a possible major problem with this approach: If your ASP pages
    depend in any way on session variables, then you won't be able to convert
    piecemeal. You'll have to do it all at one time. That's because ASP and
    ASP.NET don't share session variables.

    If you were planning to do an all-at-once replace, anyway, ignore this
    little man in the corner.
    Old Pedant, Aug 23, 2008
  4. Dave1031

    Dave Guest

    Thanks guys.

    I found the following example on http://www.somacon.com/p145.php

    <%@ Language=VBScript %>
    <%
    ' Permanent redirection
    Response.Status = "301 Moved Permanently"
    Response.AddHeader "Location", "http://www.somacon.com/"
    Response.End
    %>

    ....but it never seemed to effect the redirect so I ended up using this...

    <%@ Language=VBScript %>
    <%
    Response.Redirect "default.aspx"
    %>

    ...which seems to work fine unless there is something I 'm not aware of?

    The session variables are not an issue (although I did notice that the
    session id is no longer an int but a varchar and it seemd to change with
    every page request. What's up with that?).

    Thanks
    Dave.
    Dave, Aug 24, 2008