Upgrading to ruby stable snapshot 2004-10-25 broke working script

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ruby Noob, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. Ruby Noob

    Ruby Noob Guest

    An unmodified ruby script stopped working after I upgraded to the latest
    Ruby 1.8.2 stable snapshot (2004-10-25).

    WHAT CHANGED:
    a. upgraded few weeks old stable snapshot to Ruby 1.8.2 2004-10-25
    b. upgraded mod_ruby to 1.2.4
    (reverting to old version of mod_ruby did not fix problem)

    WHAT DID NOT CHANGE:
    a. httpd.conf and ruby.conf (timestamps are months old)
    b. my *.rbx and *.rb (timestamps are months old)

    ERROR MESSAGE:
    error msg: /var/www/ruby/myip.rbx:14: undefined method `sign_msg' for
    main:Object (NoMethodError)
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/apache/ruby-run.rb:53:in `load'
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/apache/ruby-run.rb:53:in `handler'

    DETAILS:
    The script myip.rbx worked fine before upgrading Ruby to latest stable
    snapshot. The older version of Ruby was only a few weeks old.

    myip.rbx uses a "require" command to load the .rb file containing the
    sign_msg() method. Both scripts have been unmodified for many months.

    The .rb file is in a different directory from myip.rbx (same place it
    has been for months). The directory is in "RubyAddPath" setting in
    ruby.conf which is included by httpd.conf.

    Again, not sure why upgrading to latest ruby broke this. It has been
    working fine for months. And the ruby version replaced was only a few
    weeks old.

    SYSTEM:
    i686-linux (RedHat AS3)
    Apache 2.0.46
    Ruby 1.8.2 (2004-10-25) [i686-linux]
    mod_ruby 1.2.4

    Ruby Noob, Oct 26, 2004

  2. Ruby Noob

    Ruby Noob Guest

    Ruby Noob wrote:
    > An unmodified ruby script stopped working after I upgraded to the latest
    > Ruby 1.8.2 stable snapshot (2004-10-25).
    >
    > WHAT CHANGED:
    > a. upgraded few weeks old stable snapshot to Ruby 1.8.2 2004-10-25
    > b. upgraded mod_ruby to 1.2.4
    > (reverting to old version of mod_ruby did not fix problem)
    >
    > WHAT DID NOT CHANGE:
    > a. httpd.conf and ruby.conf (timestamps are months old)
    > b. my *.rbx and *.rb (timestamps are months old)
    >
    > ERROR MESSAGE:
    > error msg: /var/www/ruby/myip.rbx:14: undefined method `sign_msg' for
    > main:Object (NoMethodError)
    > from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/apache/ruby-run.rb:53:in `load'
    > from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/apache/ruby-run.rb:53:in `handler'
    >
    > DETAILS:
    > The script myip.rbx worked fine before upgrading Ruby to latest stable
    > snapshot. The older version of Ruby was only a few weeks old.
    >
    > myip.rbx uses a "require" command to load the .rb file containing the
    > sign_msg() method. Both scripts have been unmodified for many months.
    >
    > The .rb file is in a different directory from myip.rbx (same place it
    > has been for months). The directory is in "RubyAddPath" setting in
    > ruby.conf which is included by httpd.conf.
    >
    > Again, not sure why upgrading to latest ruby broke this. It has been
    > working fine for months. And the ruby version replaced was only a few
    > weeks old.
    >
    > SYSTEM:
    > i686-linux (RedHat AS3)
    > Apache 2.0.46
    > Ruby 1.8.2 (2004-10-25) [i686-linux]
    > mod_ruby 1.2.4

    I found yet another script that broke. This time, the script is a very
    simple .rhtml file and the following error occurs:

    error msg: (eval): (eval): uninitialized constant Apache::ERubyRun
    (NameError)
    from (eval):0:in `value'

    I fixed it by modifying ruby.conf to add:

    "RubyRequire apache/eruby-run"

    But it worked fine without this fix in the past. Is this a bug with the
    latest ruby stable snapshot or is this a known compatibility change we
    need to live with?

    Ruby Noob, Oct 26, 2004

  3. Hi,

    In message "Re: Upgrading to ruby stable snapshot 2004-10-25 broke working script"
    on Wed, 27 Oct 2004 03:14:05 +0900, Ruby Noob <> writes:

    |An unmodified ruby script stopped working after I upgraded to the latest
    |Ruby 1.8.2 stable snapshot (2004-10-25).

    There might be unintentional behavior change. I'd consider it as a
    bug if there is. Is there any way I can reproduce error here?

    matz.

    Yukihiro Matsumoto, Oct 27, 2004