Upload/Download Files on Network File Server

Matt Hamilton

I was hoping that someone can give me step-by-step instructions to fix the
following:

We would like our ASP.NET application to utilize a central file server for
uploads and downloads. I have tried creating a virtual directory to the
external file server on the web server and just referencing the virtual
directory when setting a hyperlink to download a file and everything seems to
work well until I attempt to implement an HTTPHandler (to secure non-asp file
types). I continue to receive an error that states "Failed to start
monitoring file changes" whenever I click a hyperlink to a file on the file
server. This is not an issue when the files are local to the web server (i.e.
the handler does work correctly). I know this has to be a security issue, but
I have tried everything I know to try. Thanks for any help offered.

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

Matt Hamilton said:
I was hoping that someone can give me step-by-step instructions to fix the
following:

We would like our ASP.NET application to utilize a central file server for
uploads and downloads. I have tried creating a virtual directory to the
external file server on the web server and just referencing the virtual
directory when setting a hyperlink to download a file and everything seems to
work well until I attempt to implement an HTTPHandler (to secure non-asp file
types). I continue to receive an error that states "Failed to start
monitoring file changes" whenever I click a hyperlink to a file on the file
server. This is not an issue when the files are local to the web server (i.e.
the handler does work correctly). I know this has to be a security issue, but
I have tried everything I know to try. Thanks for any help offered.

Most likely because the local ASPNET account on the server does not have
NTFS permissions to the file server. Create an identical local account on
the file server (same password too) and give it NTFS change permissions to
the files/folders.