upload/download huge files

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jeff, Mar 10, 2006.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Our company has to find a way to transfer huge files, target is maximum
    of 6GB, between sites so we are looking to find the best way to do it.
    There are lots of criteria we need but the most important is secure,
    fast, and fault tolerant. We already have a secure website between
    sites so one of the ideas was to use a control to upload and download
    through there. For example, when downloading from MSDN they have a nice
    download utility that handles files nicely. Something like that plus
    have the ability to upload too would be fantastic.

    I read somewhere that IIS does not allow uploads larger than 2GB. Not
    sure if that is true or not, but if it is then that might be a problem.

    We also have a secure FTP line and could use that if it proves best.
    The one thing is we would really like to tie it to the website so that
    the user experience is a lot easier.

    Any suggestions out there?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

    Jeff, Mar 10, 2006

  2. Theres tons to consider when working with large files, especially if your
    using the srver for other web traffic.

    You can save yourself a ton of time and work and just buy a utility
    specifically for this

    http://support.softartisans.com/FileUpEEV4/doc/dotnet/aspdotnet_LargeUploads.asp

    --
    Regards

    John Timney
    Microsoft MVP

    John Timney \( MVP \), Mar 10, 2006

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. We don't have any problem
    buying a utility as long as it does what we need.
    Jeff

    Jeff, Mar 10, 2006
  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    FYI, I checked with one of my coworkers and he said they did buy FileUp
    last year for something else but it wouldn't work with our secure
    Internet site. FileUp is probably fine, it's just our site that we have
    to use is very particular. We're now thinking that maybe a great FTP
    client that has command line scripting might be the answer. WS_FTP Pro
    seems to be good. Any others that have that kind of functionality?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

    Jeff, Mar 16, 2006
  5. I'm not familair with scripting WS_FTP, but its very easy to script good old
    ftp.exe.

    That said, you might want to consider using some of the ftp products based
    on SSH which offer secure FTP. Most of them are free.

    --
    Regards

    John Timney
    Microsoft MVP