Upload file inside AJAX updatepanel - new solution

Bjorn Sagbakken

I was looking for a solution, without the full page postback, and all the
tip was about a hidden iframe and RJS.
The RJS was not known to me before, and still I haven't explored this used
with ASP.NET

But, the iframe issue gave me an idea; why not put the fileupload control &
a submit button on a form, nothing else. Then on my main form I added an
iframe, a visible one, with src=the form with the file upload control.

Ok, this shows very nice in the browser, no one will see that a small part
of the main form actually is another form. Next, on hitting the file submit
button, the file is actually uploaded to a temp folder on the server -
without the page beeing posted back! On doing this I also write the uploaded
filename to a session variable, so the "Save" button on the main form can
attach to the file for further proccessing, and finally delete the temp
file.

I am kind of new to AJAX so maybe I'm stupid, but nevertheless this approach
actually works.

Bjorn

bruce barker

this is pretty standard. most web based email systems use this for
attachments.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Bjorn Sagbakken

Maybe so. Since I am quite new with AJAX, this local event still gave me a
good feeling - to re-invent a small wheel....

Bjørn