Upload file to server via asp without changing file permissions

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by N. Quisitive, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. N. Quisitive

    N. Quisitive Guest

    Hello,

    I have a dilemma that has haunted me for a couple of months now. I am
    developing a content management system for a client who has their
    server managed by someone else (to be more specific, this system is
    being built for a school in a university; the servers are managed by
    the university and are highly secured). The problem is the
    administrators will not change the write permissions on the folder I
    would like to upload to. After several meetings on how to resolve this
    issue, they finally informed me that I would need to somehow send
    authentication information to the server (using our existing FTP
    account). As long as they know that the person knocking on the server
    door is an authorized user, I can upload files. Does anyone know how I
    can programmatically send FTP user information to the server and allow
    uploads from the browser via pure ASP? The closest article I could find
    to addressing my issues is found here:
    http://benmeg.com/code/asp/ftp.asp.html. However, I believe the write
    permissions need to still be set for this to work (furthermore, I know
    I won't be able to execute anything on the server). Your help would be
    greatly appreciated. Our solution in the past has been to handle
    uploads on an entirely different server, but we would very much like to
    centralize everything. Thanks!

    N. Quisitive, Jan 17, 2006