upload only the .html files with ftp client?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by boywonder, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. boywonder

    boywonder Guest

    I use aceFTP 3.0 to upload files to my halpcug pages. I have a considerable
    number of pictures on the site. Recently, I updated the header sections of
    all the .html files, and uploaded the entire site. I was frustrated because
    the complete upload included images files and other things that did not need
    refreshing. Is there a simple way you know of to do this with the ftp
    manager? I have searched the web, and aceFTP forums, the help files and
    cannot find one. I want to upload only the .html files [overwriting]
    throughout
    each folder on my website.

    TIA

    --
    Tommy
    toner27AThalDASHpcDOTorg remove everything capitalized to email

    I threw caution to the wind. It threw it back. I ducked.
    Hookt On Fonicks Werked Four Me!
    boywonder, Dec 20, 2005

  2. boywonder

    mbstevens Guest

    boywonder wrote:
    > I use aceFTP 3.0 to upload files to my halpcug pages. I have a considerable
    > number of pictures on the site. Recently, I updated the header sections of
    > all the .html files, and uploaded the entire site. I was frustrated because
    > the complete upload included images files and other things that did not need
    > refreshing. Is there a simple way you know of to do this with the ftp
    > manager? I have searched the web, and aceFTP forums, the help files and
    > cannot find one. I want to upload only the .html files [overwriting]
    > throughout
    > each folder on my website.
    >
    > TIA

    Why don't you switch to a terminal ftp client like ncftp, which allows
    wildcards and other shell amenities in the filenames you use. Then you
    could just say
    "put *.html"
    -- and up they'd go.
    mbstevens, Dec 20, 2005

  3. boywonder

    Greg N. Guest

    boywonder wrote:
    > I use aceFTP 3.0 ... Recently, I updated the header sections of
    > all the .html files, and uploaded the entire site. I was frustrated because
    > the complete upload included images files...

    I suggest you sort the source file list by timestamp. This will put the
    least recently modified files on top of the list, which should make it
    easy enough to select only those for upload.

    --
    Gregor's Motorradreisen:
    http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/
    Greg N., Dec 20, 2005
  4. boywonder

    boywonder Guest

    mbstevens wrote:
    >> boywonder wrote:
    >>> I use aceFTP 3.0 to upload files to my halpcug pages. I have a
    >>> considerable number of pictures on the site. Recently, I updated
    >>> the header sections of all the .html files, and uploaded the entire
    >>> site. I was frustrated because the complete upload included images
    >>> files and other things that did not need refreshing. Is there a
    >>> simple way you know of to do this with the ftp manager? I have
    >>> searched the web, and aceFTP forums, the help files and cannot find
    >>> one. I want to upload only the .html files [overwriting] throughout
    >>> each folder on my website.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>

    >> Why don't you switch to a terminal ftp client like ncftp, which
    >> allows wildcards and other shell amenities in the filenames you use.
    >> Then you could just say
    >> "put *.html"
    >> -- and up they'd go.

    Best suggestion yet

    boywonder, Dec 21, 2005
  5. boywonder

    mbstevens Guest

    boywonder wrote:
    > mbstevens wrote:

    >>>Why don't you switch to a terminal ftp client like ncftp, which
    >>>allows wildcards and other shell amenities in the filenames you use.
    >>>Then you could just say
    >>>"put *.html"
    >>>-- and up they'd go.

    > Best suggestion yet

    Just don't get me started about the wonders of vim.
    mbstevens, Dec 21, 2005
  6. mbstevens wrote:

    > boywonder wrote:

    > > Best suggestion yet
    > >

    > Just don't get me started about the wonders of vim.

    :q

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Dec 21, 2005
  7. boywonder

    Guest

    boywonder (removethis) wrote:
    > I use aceFTP 3.0 to upload files to my halpcug pages. I have a considerable
    > number of pictures on the site. Recently, I updated the header sections of
    > all the .html files, and uploaded the entire site. I was frustrated because
    > the complete upload included images files and other things that did not need
    > refreshing. Is there a simple way you know of to do this with the ftp
    > manager? I have searched the web, and aceFTP forums, the help files and
    > cannot find one. I want to upload only the .html files [overwriting]
    > throughout
    > each folder on my website.

    If you structure your site sensibly and keep images in one directory,
    included files in another, JavaScript in another, CSS in another
    (depending how many CSS files you have - I'm guessing that you have
    none), and so on, then achieving what you want is easy.

    --
    Hywel
    , Dec 22, 2005
  8. boywonder

    boywonder Guest

    wrote:
    >> boywonder (removethis) wrote:
    >>> I use aceFTP 3.0 to upload files to my halpcug pages. I have a
    >>> considerable number of pictures on the site. Recently, I updated
    >>> the header sections of all the .html files, and uploaded the entire
    >>> site. I was frustrated because the complete upload included images
    >>> files and other things that did not need refreshing. Is there a
    >>> simple way you know of to do this with the ftp manager? I have
    >>> searched the web, and aceFTP forums, the help files and cannot find
    >>> one. I want to upload only the .html files [overwriting] throughout
    >>> each folder on my website.

    >> If you structure your site sensibly and keep images in one directory,
    >> included files in another, JavaScript in another, CSS in another
    >> (depending how many CSS files you have - I'm guessing that you have
    >> none), and so on, then achieving what you want is easy.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hywel

    You got me, I did a non standard way of arranging folders images in main
    relative addressing easier, I should have seen this coming. I confess, I'm
    just a wanabee.
    boywonder, Dec 22, 2005
  9. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "boywonder"
    <tommyATlee9_2000(removethis)ATyahooATcom> writing in

    > I use aceFTP 3.0 to upload files to my halpcug pages. I have a
    > considerable number of pictures on the site. Recently, I updated the
    > header sections of all the .html files, and uploaded the entire site. I
    > was frustrated because the complete upload included images files and
    > other things that did not need refreshing. Is there a simple way you
    > know of to do this with the ftp manager? I have searched the web, and
    > aceFTP forums, the help files and cannot find one. I want to upload
    > only the .html files [overwriting] throughout
    > each folder on my website.
    >
    > TIA

    You have several options, as other have said, sort by date, and you can
    also filter by type (its the picture of a funnel), or a combination of
    both.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info