Upload Progress in ASP.NET

Garett

I am creating a document manager of sorts in ASP.net and it would be
really nice to have some sort of file upload progress bar for larger
files.

Companies such as www.websupergoo.com and www.softartisans.com have
created file upload tools that show the progress however I'd like to
make something myself. Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of trouble
figuring out how to get the *** final file size *** before the file is
actually uploaded.... (as far as i can figure, you will need this
information to determine how much of the file has been uploaded
already)

I was thinking you could use javascript to get the file details before
the form is submitted, but apparantly there are security issues with
this behaviour and it's not possible.

I think I need a funtamental paradigm shift...

any ideas?

Garett

bruce barker

1) softartisan uses an active/x control, so it looks at the file size on
disk.
2) websupergoo, uses the posted content length (if exists) or guesses. it
opens a polling window before the post. the polling window just uses an auto
refresh, that displays the server's the upload current status. hint: use a
upload id, and store the status in a static collection keyed by the id.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)