Upload Progress in ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Garett, Apr 30, 2004.

  1. Garett

    Garett Guest

    I am creating a document manager of sorts in ASP.net and it would be
    really nice to have some sort of file upload progress bar for larger
    files.

    Companies such as www.websupergoo.com and www.softartisans.com have
    created file upload tools that show the progress however I'd like to
    make something myself. Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of trouble
    figuring out how to get the *** final file size *** before the file is
    actually uploaded.... (as far as i can figure, you will need this
    information to determine how much of the file has been uploaded
    already)

    I was thinking you could use javascript to get the file details before
    the form is submitted, but apparantly there are security issues with
    this behaviour and it's not possible.

    I think I need a funtamental paradigm shift...

    any ideas?

    Garett
    Garett, Apr 30, 2004

  2. Garett

    bruce barker Guest

    1) softartisan uses an active/x control, so it looks at the file size on
    disk.
    2) websupergoo, uses the posted content length (if exists) or guesses. it
    opens a polling window before the post. the polling window just uses an auto
    refresh, that displays the server's the upload current status. hint: use a
    upload id, and store the status in a static collection keyed by the id.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, May 1, 2004