Uploaded database

Guest

I cannot have access to my uploaded db. I get error listed below. I'd like to
know the following: If I set my connection infomation in web config. Do I
have to change it when it's uploaded, because the host request that I change
the name of the database. Will problems may arise with database and server
name? Also I've enabled remote access.

"An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When
connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that
under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
(provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance
Specified)

Guest

I cannot have access to my uploaded db. I get error listed below. I'd like to
know the following: If I set my connection infomation in web config. Do I
have to change it when it's uploaded, because the host request that I change
the name of the database. Will problems may arise with database and server
name? Also I've enabled remote access.

"An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When
connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that
under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
(provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance
Specified)

Take a look at this article, it may help, I think
Recipe: Deploying a SQL Database to a Remote Hosting Environment (Part
1)
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/arch...e-to-a-remote-hosting-environment-part-1.aspx

Mark Rae [MVP]

I cannot have access to my uploaded db. I get error listed below. I'd like
know the following: If I set my connection infomation in web config. Do I
have to change it when it's uploaded, because the host request that I
change
the name of the database. Will problems may arise with database and server
name? Also I've enabled remote access.

"An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.
When
connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that
under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
(provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating
Server/Instance
Specified)

You talk of "the host", so I'm presuming that this is a database being
hosted by a 3rd-party ISP.

The error that you're seeing is a generic one which is thrown when a
connection to the database cannot be made. In this particular instance, it
almost certainly isn't anything to do with remote connections - instead, as
you suspect, it's because the server and/or database referenced in your
connection string doesn't exist on your host's environment.

In which case, you will almost certainly need to change your connection
string - your ISP should have provided you the necessary details for this.

You might also like to have a look at Web Deployment Projects:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336619.aspx - this allows you
(among many other things) to replace the connectionString section of your
web.config when you deploy it.

Also, you shouldn't even need to worry about remote connections, firewalls
etc anyway - it's up to your ISP to configure this correctly for you.

Guest

Dave,
Your post is really much too "general" to be able to come up with a specific
answer. If you are referring to SQL Server 2005 (Express) this allows local
file-based MDF database attachment to be specified in the connection string.
However in practice, few hosting companies permit this on the server (and it
probably would not work anyway) - what they require is that you populate the
database instance they give you, along with a specified connection string,
with all your "Stuff" via a script. Take a look at the "SQL SERVER DATABASE
PUBLICATION WIZARD", which is easy to find online with a search.
-- Peter
Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
BlogMetaFinder(BETA): http://www.blogmetafinder.com

timmy123 via DotNetMonster.com

Dave said:
I cannot have access to my uploaded db. I get error listed below. I'd like to
know the following: If I set my connection infomation in web config. Do I
have to change it when it's uploaded, because the host request that I change
the name of the database. Will problems may arise with database and server
name? Also I've enabled remote access.

"An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When
connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that
under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
(provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance
Specified)

Hi,

string connectionString = "Data Source=XXX.XX.XXX.XX;database=Database1;User
ID=user1;Password=absdfg;";

SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection(connectionString);

You should ask the above details like Data Source =IP address , User name and
password from your ISP.

Database programming using Visual Basic 2005 and Csharp 2005
http://www.vkinfotek.com