    2) As a file in the NTFS file system

    Thanks,
    Arsen

    Arsen V., Feb 10, 2005

  2. 2

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    Neither a follower nor a lender be.

    Kevin Spencer, Feb 10, 2005

  3. Arsen V.

    Scott Allen Guest

    You really have to take the rest of your application and environment
    specifics into consideration, but as a general rule of thumb I try to
    avoid keeping images in database tables.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

    Scott Allen, Feb 10, 2005
  4. file

    --
    Regards

    John Timney
    ASP.NET MVP
    Microsoft Regional Director

    John Timney \(ASP.NET MVP\), Feb 10, 2005
  5. Arsen V.

    Dean Guest

    arsen,

    it' really hard to say, it depends.. just a few pointers:

    - if you store files in the db, you get integrated security, backup&restore,
    integrity; and you can put them on different filegroup for easier
    manipulation
    - if you store them in file system, file pointers (kept in the db) and files
    might get out of sync, security has to be managed separately, as well as
    backups. and if there's really a lot of files in a folder, file system might
    get 'confused'..

    dean

    Dean, Feb 10, 2005
  6. A lot of people tend to jump to the conclusion that it's better to store
    files in the file system.
    But I say that's not always the best choice, and here are my reasons why,
    along with detailed code samples to help you:
    http://SteveOrr.net/articles/EasyUploads.aspx

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Feb 10, 2005
  7. Steve thanks for the info!
    After reading ur article saying:-

    "Next version of Windows (codenamed Longhorn) reportedly will replace
    the NTFS file system with a new one (named WinFS) based on SQL Server.
    So in the future, you'll be saving all your files in a database whether
    you want to or not."

    So what you are saying is that we won't be able to call files from FILE
    SYSTEM at all in the future?
    Only from the database.
    About if it comes to LARGE files becos i agree with you that smaller
    files can me saved in the Database.
    Patrick

    Patrick Olurotimi Ige, Feb 10, 2005
  8. Yes, although WinFS has been repeatedly delayed since I wrote that article,
    it remains the holy grail for which Microsoft strives.
    Clearly Microsoft sees SQL Server as the future of all file storage, so why
    not start now?

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Feb 11, 2005
  9. Thats true Steve but.
    But i think according to what i read here at:-

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/winfs/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dn
    intlong/html/longhornch04.asp

    The options of using NTFS will still be possible and that Longhorn
    applications using the new WinFS APIs can access data stored either in
    WinFS or in NTFS. In addition, Longhorn applications can continue to use
    the Win32 API to access data stored in the NTFS file system.

    Patrick Olurotimi Ige, Feb 11, 2005
  10. Yes, that is a change that Microsoft recently made. That wasn't the plan at
    the time the article was written. At this point WinFS has been pushed back
    many years from now and who knows how many more times it will change between
    now and then.

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Feb 11, 2005