Uploading a file to a server

Stuart Layton

I am currently developing some software for a Palm TX using j2me. The
final stages of the project require me to upload a data file to a
server. There are going to be many datafiles coming from many different
palms and so each one must be unique (in name) as to not overwrite a
previously uploaded file.

I am not sure about how to do this. Security is as always important we
don't want anybody to be able to upload files to our server.

Any information that i can get would be great.

Also if you have any code snippets I would be forever greatful.

-Stuart

Stuart Layton

Again this is running on a Palm TX. We are developing the software in
IBM websphere and are using their VM.

Oliver Wong

Stuart Layton said:
I am currently developing some software for a Palm TX using j2me. The
final stages of the project require me to upload a data file to a
server. There are going to be many datafiles coming from many different
palms and so each one must be unique (in name) as to not overwrite a
previously uploaded file.

I am not sure about how to do this. Security is as always important we
don't want anybody to be able to upload files to our server.

Any information that i can get would be great.

Also if you have any code snippets I would be forever greatful.

Have the palms just upload the contents of the file, without specifying
a name. The server will select a name, not the palm. The server can just
name the files after sequential integers (e.g. "00000.dat", "00001.dat",
etc.). If the palm later on needs to know the name of the file, it can ask
the server.

<Example protocol>
Palm says "I want to upload a file."
Server says "Okay. It'll be stored in '88439283.dat'."
Palm says "Okay. The contents of the file are 'foo'."
Server says "Okay, the file is stored."
Palm says "I want to access file '88439283.dat'."
Server says "Okay, the contents are 'foo'."
</Example protocol>

- Oliver