Uploading Files and Folders

Mauro

Hi,

we are putting together an application that will allow a user to upload
files or folders via a browser to the server. We know how to do this for
files but have never done it for whole folders. Is there a way to do this
with existing .NET methods? I have had a very quick look in MSDN but have
not found anything. Or will we need to loop through all files in a folder
and upload each one individually?

I have found a negative answer in gotdotnet, but want to make sure that is
still true:
http://www.gotdotnet.com/Community/MessageBoard/Thread.aspx?id=29725&Page=1#
29725

Thanks for your help

Mauro

George Ter-Saakov

The problem is not in ASP.NET. The problem is that Browser is not capable to
upload folders.

You might look into creating ActiveX componenet to do that and have it on
your page.

George.

Mauro Ciaccio

Hi,

thanks for the reply. The problem with ActiveX controls is (so I'm told)
that they create problems when trying to access servers across
firewalls. Is that so and is there any way around the problem?

Thanks,

Mauro

George Ter-Saakov

There is no problems with firewall and ActiveX.
The only problem is that ActiveX is an executable code which can do
practically anything on the machine.

Because of that
1. Some users might have disbled the use of them on the pages (rare)
2. Browser will give a message first time it tries to load an ActiveX (once
it's loaded it will not prompt anymore. Even if you close the browser and
shutdown PC).

You can see that behaviour for example here
http://orgchart.com/products/orgpublisher/samples/charts/gen.htm
It will prompt and if you say "yes" it will work.

Anyway depending on your visitiors ActiveX might be an acceptable solution
or not.
Flash is ActiveX for example.

George.

Mauro Ciaccio

You're absolutely right in that there is no "technical" problem in using
ActiveX behind a firewall.

But I think the key to the problem lies in your final sentence

"Anyway depending on your visitiors ActiveX might be an acceptable
solution or not."

Some of our clients do not ABSOLUTELY want to use ActiveX controls
behind their firewall because that is their company's policy. As a
result we are constrained in having to provide a solution that does not
use ActiveX.

Thanks for the clarification,

Mauro

George Ter-Saakov

Then you out of options.

The only way you can do it is ActiveX or Java Applet(which runs with more
permissions than usual applet - andis basically the same as having ActiveX
but it's written on Java).

Other than that i can not come up with anything that will let you upload
folder.

George.