Uploading files web service with NTFS security

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by wym, Apr 23, 2004.

  1. wym

    wym Guest

    I have written a web service that provides the following methods:

    UploadFile
    SetNTFSSecurity

    Their purpose is to allow a user to Upload a file to a shared folder
    with "Everyone" as permission and using SetNTFSSecurity, allow for
    tighter security on the files (remove the propagated "Everyone" from
    parent folder and add specific users to the ACL.

    My problem is putting it all together...

    Problem 1:

    In my aspx page, I would like to allow the user to upload entire
    folders and for each file in folder, use the UploadFile service.
    Currently, I'm using an html input button of type file, which only
    allows you to choose ONE file at a time.

    <INPUT id=uploadedFile type=file size=31 name=uploadedFile
    runat="server">

    After the file is chosen, I add it to a listbox. The user will keep
    on adding to the listbox for the files to be uploaded. Finally, there
    is a server side button which will call the UploadFile web service for
    each file in the listbox. Obviously, this is extremely tedious for
    the user and I'd like to simplify things by just allowing the user to
    choose an entire folder and then recurse my way through it to feed
    each file to my web function.

    I'm willing to look at third party controls if the solution is too
    complicated.

    Problem 2:

    After I have uploaded the files to a file server, I'd like to set
    security on them. I'm using ADSI's ADsSecurity.dll to set security.
    In my machine.config, I have set the process to run under my
    username/password. I am an administrator on the remote file server
    but for some reason, I can't set the security on it. This function
    was written based on KB 279682's script. I'm able to set the file
    security of a remote machine, but not with the web service? I can
    however set security rights if the file server and the web service are
    on the same machine... Does anyone have any experience with this?

    Again, I'm willing to look at a third party solution.

    wym, Apr 23, 2004