Uploading files

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jon, Feb 1, 2006.

  1. Jon

    Jon Guest

    I have a client with the following requirements:
    -Upload files via asp.net 1.1 website
    -write the files out
    -virus scan the files
    -save them to a database
    -aspnet or IUSR account cannot have write permission to any folder.

    1) What are my options? If the aspnet process doesn't have write
    permissions, then it can't write to a directory. In regular ASP, I think you
    could write a com dll to handle the upload and simply give that com app
    permissions, that way the whole web sprocess doesn't have permission to
    write. Can I do something like that in asp.net?

    2) Are there any virus scanning options out there that do not require me to
    write the file to the disk first? If so, that may solve the problem. I could
    then just scan the file as a stream and then save it to the database without
    ever touching the disk, right?

    Thanks for any insight.
    Jon

    Jon, Feb 1, 2006

  2. you can use impersonation to run the asp.net upload page as any domain user
    you like, that way only that user account needs to have write permissions
    and only for that file, protected by web.config location settings.

    --
    Regards

    John Timney
    Microsoft MVP