Uploading files

Jon

I have a client with the following requirements:
-Upload files via asp.net 1.1 website
-write the files out
-virus scan the files
-save them to a database
-aspnet or IUSR account cannot have write permission to any folder.

1) What are my options? If the aspnet process doesn't have write
permissions, then it can't write to a directory. In regular ASP, I think you
could write a com dll to handle the upload and simply give that com app
permissions, that way the whole web sprocess doesn't have permission to
write. Can I do something like that in asp.net?

2) Are there any virus scanning options out there that do not require me to
write the file to the disk first? If so, that may solve the problem. I could
then just scan the file as a stream and then save it to the database without
ever touching the disk, right?

Thanks for any insight.
Jon

John Timney \( MVP \)

you can use impersonation to run the asp.net upload page as any domain user
you like, that way only that user account needs to have write permissions
and only for that file, protected by web.config location settings.