Uploading multiple pics

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Laphan, Oct 26, 2005.

  1. Laphan

    Laphan Guest

    First of all, my apologies for the xpost. I realise the netiqute, but this
    query seems to cross the boundaries of both these groups.

    Basically I have created a small ASP site that allows a user to upload their
    own pics via ASPupload so that they can be used on their site. I use a very
    simple form with a INPUT file box to allow them to browse, select and upload
    the picture. I then use ASPupload to save the file, get the file params and
    then store these details in an Access DB as I can page through data far more
    easily using a DB over a FileSysObj.

    This works fine, but a number of users that use this site want to be able to
    upload a large number of pics en masse. At this point, my knowledge of
    problems to do with this are as follows:

    a) ASPupload together with the trigger-happy ISP that I'm using means that a
    total upload size at one time is really only about 800KB - 900KB at best
    before the ISP triggers their script time out.

    b) You cannot manipulate the INPUT file box in anyway, so you can't say
    upload a text file of filepaths and names, eg:

    C:\upload\pic1.jpg
    C:\upload\pic2.jpg
    C:\upload\pic3.jpg
    etc...

    and then with a combo of meta refresh and this form reiterate through each
    file path/name to upload them automatically. This is because the INPUT file
    will not accept pre-defined data - correct?

    c) Creating mutliple INPUT file boxes on the page is a bit crap.

    I think my best bet is to give them FTP access to the pics folder in
    question, allow them to upload en masse and then create an ASP filesysobj(?)
    page that reiterates through what has been uploaded and update my DB (this
    holds things such as name, width & height) with all of these entries.

    Can I obtain the width & height params using the filesysobj?

    Is there another way to do all of this?

    Thanks

    Laphan
    Laphan, Oct 26, 2005

  2. "Laphan" <> wrote in message
    > I think my best bet is to give them FTP access to the pics folder in
    > question, allow them to upload en masse and then create an ASP

    filesysobj(?)
    > page that reiterates through what has been uploaded and update my DB (this
    > holds things such as name, width & height) with all of these entries.

    This is what I had though about when I was faced with it. I never had to
    actually do it because I ended up being the only one doing the uploads, but
    this is also how I thought of doing it.

    It was just an image gallery and if they upload the files into the proper
    directory the ASP page would just loop through the file names, then use the
    file names and create the HTML with the links for the "page".

    --
    Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
    www.wandtv.com

    Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Guidance
    http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/techinfo/Guidance/2004.asp
    http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/techinfo/Guidance/2000.asp

    Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
    http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/partners/default.asp
    Phillip Windell, Oct 26, 2005