Uploading Website

Abul Hasan Lakhani

Hello There,

I just wanna ask that now that I have Created my website in ASP.NET how and
what files should I upload to my server. Any special setting or
configuration required to run my asp.net application on web???

Thanks .. Waiting for immediate feedback

Abul Hasan Lakhani.

John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\)

You should probably upload everthing under your application directory,
including your bin directory. Technically the live web server needs to mimic
your development environment at least in the settings it probably runs with.

--
Regards

John Timney
Microsoft Regional Director
Microsoft MVP

Guest

Assuming you don't use any COM components (via interrop) you can deploy the
site via a simple file copy (for example using XCopy).

The files you need to deploy are *.aspx, *.config, *.asmx, *.ashx, and the
bin directory.

This assumes you're talking about ASP.NET 1.1 and you're not creating custom
file extension mappings for HTTPHandlers.

jongalloway

I don't think deploying your entire application directory is a good
practice. This would copy your source files (.vb and .cs) files which
are not needed on the production server and will just clutter things
up.

Also, you may accidentally copy other non-web files to the server which
could be downloaded by end users - Excel, Word, Text, Zip, etc. files
are all downloadable by default.

There are a few ways to copy just the files you need.
1. Matt Hawley's free UnleashIt utility is probably the easiest way to
go:
http://www.eworldui.net/UnleashIt/

2. Visual Studio has a copy project option for web projects, but it
depends on your setup and you may miss files (javascript, css, images).
I don't like it, but if it works for you it's pretty handy since it's
built into Visual Studio. More info:
http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/deployingwebapplications.asp

3. You can use RoboCopy scripts. RoboCopy is included in the W2K and
W2K3 Resource Kits, and is a very configurably file copy utility. We're
using this on a project I'm working on now. It's a bit difficult to set
up, but for a large deployment it can be handy. It's nice because you
can test and reuse the script.

4. I know some people use NAnt to deploy. I haven't.

I recommend you go with UnleashIt.
- Jon
http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway