upper memory limit

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Leandro?=

There is an upper memory limit in Python?
I have 2GB RAM and 2 processors Xeon 2.4 - (Windows XP), but I just can use
1.2G of memory, after this python crashes.
Does someone know if python has some memory limit?

Yahoo! Acesso Grátis - navegue de graça com conexão de qualidade! Acesse: http://br.acesso.yahoo.com/

Michael Hudson

Leandro said:
There is an upper memory limit in Python?
I have 2GB RAM and 2 processors Xeon 2.4 - (Windows XP), but I just can use
1.2G of memory, after this python crashes.
Does someone know if python has some memory limit?

Not deliberately :) What are you filling all that memory with? What
does "crash" mean? MemoryError, or something more exciting?

Cheers,
mwh

Tim Roberts

Leandro said:
There is an upper memory limit in Python?
I have 2GB RAM and 2 processors Xeon 2.4 - (Windows XP), but I just can use
1.2G of memory, after this python crashes.
Does someone know if python has some memory limit?

You might be surprised to learn that the amount of memory available to a
single process is (almost) completely unrelated to the amount of physical
memory in the machine. Windows is a virtual memory system.

A single process in Windows is limited to 2GB of address space. Part of
that is occupied by the Python executable, your DLLs, and the system DLLs.

1.2GB seems a litle low, but it is not entirely unreasonable.

Peter Wilkinson

Why do you say that single process is limited to 2 Gig? I believe that on
windows a single process can run with to 32 bits addressed or 4 Gig of
space. I have run R with over 2 Gig of memory.

Why would python be limited to 2 Gig (including overhead)? I don't see that
python should be any different.

Peter

Tim Roberts

Peter Wilkinson said:
Why do you say that single process is limited to 2 Gig? I believe that on
windows a single process can run with to 32 bits addressed or 4 Gig of
space. I have run R with over 2 Gig of memory.

Why would python be limited to 2 Gig (including overhead)? I don't see that
python should be any different.

(I responded privately, but thought I should register the answer here,
too.)

No, a user-mode process in Windows is limited to 2GB of address space.
Addresses 80000000 and larger are kernel space. You can change the
threshhold to 3GB by using the /3gb boot.ini switch, but few do so.

You can certainly have more than 2GB of physical RAM in your machine, but a
single process cannot use more than 2GB at a time.