uptime for Win XP?

Brian van den Broek

Esmail Bonakdarian said unto the world upon 2004-12-12 20:45:
Hi Greg!

Thanks, that was usefull, esp since I had no idea about the win32api
which I promptly downloaded ;-)

However, I don't seem to be able to find a good place that documents
this. I downloade this from sourceforge but didn't see docs there (did
I miss this?)

Do you have a URL for docs?

Thanks again!

Esmail

Hi Esmail,

try looking for it on your box ;-)

When I recently installed win32all, my Python 2.4 entry on the startmenu
grew a shortcut for "Python for Windows Documentation".

Best,

Brian vdB

Esmail Bonakdarian

Brian said:
Hi Esmail,

try looking for it on your box ;-)

When I recently installed win32all, my Python 2.4 entry on the startmenu
grew a shortcut for "Python for Windows Documentation".

Ah .. good one!! Thanks. Actually, I thought it might have installed
/integrated it into the IDLE help system which is where I looked for
it. I didn't even think about looking via the start menu. (I have
the command line and IDLE as shortcuts).

Thanks for pointing this out.

Cheers,
Esmail

Richie Hindle

[Esmail]
Is there a way to display how long a Win XP system has been up?
Somewhat analogous to the *nix uptime command.
[Greg]

Note that in the unlikely event of your Windows machine being up for
longer than 2^32 ms (about 49 days), GetTickCount() will wrap back to
zero.

Peter Hansen

Richie said:
[Greg]

Note that in the unlikely event of your Windows machine being up for
longer than 2^32 ms (about 49 days), GetTickCount() will wrap back to
zero.

The real solution, in spite of the dozen alternatives we've
now produced, seems to be to use the win32pdh library
to access the "System"-> "System Up Time" value. It
claims to return an 8-byte value, which likely doesn't
wrap quite so soon. (And yes, remarkably, with the advent
of Windows XP Pro it is now possible to keep a Windows
machine running for longer than 49 days, even if it's
used as a development machine. Well, for Python development,
anyway. ;-)

For the life of me, however, I can't figure out how to do it.

-Peter