URGENT - ASP.NET Labels and LinkButtons behaving inconsistently ac

Zahid

Hello,

im working on an asp.net page that contains some labels and linkbuttons. The
label text is set and the link buttons are disabled when the page loads. This
works fine on my pc but when the same page is loaded on a friend's pc, the
label text is not set and the link buttons are not disabled.

does anyone know what could be the problem and how i can solve this
inconsistency across machines? is it because maybe there is some software
installed on my friends pc that is interfering with asp.net? (similar to this
guys problem:
http://www.hightechtalks.com/archiv...ehaving-differently-on-different-systems.html)

this problem needs to be urgently solved...

thanks for ur time

Christopher Reed

From the way you're describing it, your friend is not accessing the same
page/link. You might verify that you are accessing the same web
application.

Zahid

hello Christopher,

thanks for your reply,

what im doing is copying the whole asp.net solution to his computer and
running it from there from visual studio. so we are both running and viewing
the same page. the problem is that when viewing it on his computer, some of
the labels are not getting filled. i went into debug mode on his pc, and
traced the program. in the code, the label is getting the correct text set
but when the page loads, the label shows up empty.

do u know what could be the possible reason that the label shows up properly
on my pc and empty on his? is it because his pc maybe missing some bug
patches from windows update?

Jose Rodriguez

Zahid, is the directory of your friend's PC set up as a virtual directory in
IIS?

Jose

Christopher Reed

One thing you might look at is to verify whether or not your HTTP handlers
are set up correctly. Are you using ASPX or do you have custom file
extension for your web pages? If it's not ASPX, then a handler for your
custom extension needs to be added to the machine.config file. If it is
ASPX, then you need to verify that this is in your machine.config file.

Another possible source of problems is your directory structure. Is the
structure identical between the machines?

Zahid

Christopher,

in the machine.config file, i searched for aspx and found a line in the
httphandlers section and *.aspx was being handled by PageHandlerFactory (as
it is in the my other system that is working properly). also the directory
structures of the application on the two systems are the same since i copied
directly from my system. i also checked it again and they are the same.

right now im just uninstalling vs.net and iis and then reinstalling them.
lets see if that will solve the problem.

Zahid

i found out the problem. the page is being loaded twice and that is messing
up how the code is running. because the code is designed to operate properly
when the page is only loaded once (like it should). i tried to find out the
reason why it is being loaded twice and didnt find it yet. on the internet, i
saw some pages asking to check for the AutoEventWireup property being false
and mine is already false but the page is still loading twice. and the
problem is for the same code, in the "good server" (as we were mentioning
before) the page gets loaded once. but in the other pc, the page is being
loaded twice, that is whats causing the problems. if i could get it to load
once, that would solve the problem.

Zahid

in another page that was controlling the navigation, there was a code that
Set the Cacheability to NoCache. i just commented that code and now the page
is only loading once. and that solved the problem. thanks for the help guys.