URGENT!!!: ASPX Page not served through external access

robmanger

Hi All,

I have a problem (obviously).

I have an C# .NET Web Application installed on a server. This application
goes of and compiles a list of search results and displays them to the user.
The problem is that on SOME searches, I get various errors when looking at
the website via an external address (ie: http://my.app.com/app). However
all of these searches work when executing them on the local box (ie:
http://localhost/app). Also, this is an intermitent thing which it occuring
maybe 80-90% of the time, but sometimes it DOES work.

The errors I get vary depending on what browser I am looking at it through
and what my local security settings are.
- If going through Mozilla Firefox I get a "Document contains no data"
error.
- If I go through IE I get either a blank (white) screen and no action or I
get an "Action Cancelled" Page OR a "Page not found" page.

Can anyone think of what might be causing these errors? Many thanx in
advance,

Rob Manger
(e-mail address removed)

Scott Allen

Sounds like network connectivity may be a problem.

From the client machine command line, I'd do a "ping -t servername"
and see if any packets drop over a period of time (assuming your
server is allowed to respond to ping requests - some admins turn these
off for security).

robmanger

Hi Scott,

Thanx for the reply. Pinging doesn't seem to be enabled. I do have limited
access to the server, how can I enable pinging?

I'm not sure this is the issue though, as most searches work. It seems to
only fail on searches that are returning a large number of results. Is
there a setting somewhere that limits the size of the transmission?

Rob

robmanger

Good News and Good News and Bad News

- Good News, it wasn't our fault or our app. It was an issue with the
Firewall settings, they had put a timeout limit on the connections to the
machine.
- Good News, it is on it's way to being fixed (assuming that was what it
was)
- Bad News, it took me 2 days to figure this out. Is it just me or does
that seem a bit stupid?

Rob

Scott Allen

It's tough to figure those types of problems out sometimes because you
just never know what might be between your machine and the next
machine. It sucks - I've been there, too.

Glad you solved the issue,