Urgent code needed

slinky

I've tried this week everything I can think of to get this code to
work , can any kind soul take a look at my code and my what should be
a simple task and help me out. I've looked in books, websites, and
can't find a solution... thanks!

I have an aspx for with a textbox and a button. The goal is to simply
have the user type a message, hit the button and it should append to
the XML file. I can open the aspx in the browser with no problem, but
the XML file does not get updated. What's wrong with this code?
Thanks!

<script runat="server">
Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
If Not IsPostBack Then
Dim ds As New DataSet()
ds.ReadXml(Server.MapPath("timeline.xml"))
txtNewEvent.DataBind()
ds.Dispose()
End If
End Sub

Private Sub btnSubmit_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSubmit.Click
Dim ds As New DataSet()
Try
ds.ReadXml(Server.MapPath("timeline.xml"))
ds.Tables(0).Rows(0).Item("Event") = txtNewEvent.Text
ds.WriteXml(Server.MapPath("timeline.xml"))
Catch
Finally
ds.Dispose()
End Try
End Sub
</script>

bruce barker

move the onload code to oninit and take out the IsPostBack test.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Guest

I use vb.net and know very little about C#

<%@ Import Namespace="System.Data" %>
<script language="vb" runat="server">
Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
If Not IsPostBack Then
Dim ds As New DataSet()
ds.ReadXml(Server.MapPath("timeline.xml"))
'txtNewEvent.DataBind()
ds.Dispose()
End If
End Sub

Private Sub btnSubmit_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSubmit.Click
Dim ds As New DataSet()
'Try
ds.ReadXml(Server.MapPath("timeline.xml"))
ds.Tables(0).Rows(0).Item("Event") = "it works"
ds.WriteXml(Server.MapPath("timeline.xml"))
'Catch
'Finally
ds.Dispose()
'End Try
End Sub

</script>
<form id=form1 runat=server>
<asp:button id="btnSubmit" runat="server" text="Button" />
</form>

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<xml>
<DataObjects>